A/C Problem

T-bird Tim

Just started happening recently, any ideas? A/C runs fine and blows cold at highway speeds but when I come to a slow down and am about to have to stop; the car dies. It only does this with the A/C on. I do get an intermittent CEL but it never stays on and the car runs fine. Car also makes a noise right after I turn it off. It sounds like it's relieving air pressure from somehwere. My brother said maybe the IAC could be bad. Would this affect the A/C? Thanks

Last edited:
Yup. It could. Other thing to check is that the engine mounts are not collapsed. Read up on the IAC though as 90% of the replacement listings are wrong for the SC. Must fit exactly as the original or it won't work. :cool:

Your IAC could be getting weak. It could also be that your minimum idle (throttle bypass) is set too low. Does the car stumble when you are turning at low speeds? You might want to see if the car can idle in park with the AC off and without the IAC plugged in (it should idle about 600 rpm). You might need to "help" the engine find the idle by giving it a little gas for the first few seconds and then easing it down to the target, then let go of the gas pedal and see if it can go it alone.

Back