Crush Sleeve

Superchared_SIx

I have my rear end apart :eek: to rebuild the posi unit. Did the pinion seal and out put shaft seals at the same time.

Should I replace the crush sleeve will im in there, or throw it back together with original crush sleeve and torque it back to factory specs.

My concern is pinion depth. With a new crush sleave and right torque everything should good, or old crush sleave with factory torque?

Necessary

The crush sleeve is supposed to be changed every time the unit is disassembled as it provides the correct clearance and load on the pinion and bearings. I wouldn 't rebuilt without replacing it.

If you haven't replaced any of the bearings etc and/or gears then the original crush sleeve can be used, but you need a dial torque wrench to setup the preload properly, which is essentially the amount of torque it takes to turn the pinion.

I can get that number for you when I get home today. I believe its a little higher than the setting you would use if you have all new bearings etc.

I'll cover u on that fturner.

8-14 in lbs old bearings
16-29 in lbs new bearings

You could use the old sleeve if you can get those specs without getting to much preload on the old bearings any parts store should have new sleeves though. Hope you have a good air impact wrench too.

I'll cover u on that fturner.

8-14 in lbs old bearings
16-29 in lbs new bearings

You could use the old sleeve if you can get those specs without getting to much preload on the old bearings any parts store should have new sleeves though. Hope you have a good air impact wrench too.

Ok, old thread resurrection, but hey it proves I searched.:p
Anyhow, I have a pumpkin I want to use but it didn't come with an interface hub that the driveshaft bolts to. Can I just bolt one on and torque the pinion nut to 8-14in lbs using loctite or a new pinion nut?

Ok, old thread resurrection, but hey it proves I searched.:p
Anyhow, I have a pumpkin I want to use but it didn't come with an interface hub that the driveshaft bolts to. Can I just bolt one on and torque the pinion nut to 8-14in lbs using loctite or a new pinion nut?

:D

The Lb-In specs are for checking the pinion bearing preload, not the torque spec for the pinion nut, which is 140 Lb-Ft.

:D

The Lb-In specs are for checking the pinion bearing preload, not the torque spec for the pinion nut, which is 140 Lb-Ft.

:eek:I was a little off on that one!
So do I check the preload before or after I crank that sucker down?

Back