Camshaft help and I DID search.

LilCop2002

After looking through every page that had anything to do with cams, camshafts, and any other term that I could come up with, I've still got a problem that I'm trying to get hammered out.

The car that I purchased last summer had a build done to it prior to my purchasing and in the mayhem, there was lots of damage done to the internal parts. The lifters were shot, the lifter retainers toasted, and the cam was done. My questions are as follows:

What are the differences between the figure 8 retainers versus the x shaped retainers? Are there any differences between the 302ci V-8 and 3.8L SC lifter retainers?

Also, as you're going from the back camshaft bearing towards the camshaft washer and bolt, what is the order of things? I believe that it goes camshaft, washer, thrust plate with 2 star shaped bolts, large washer, cam sprocket, synchronizer gear, washer, and then bolt.

Am I too off on this? I've got the parts that I need in the classified section, but the kind souls that are offering the parts aren't sure of what I need as the washers, before and after the thrust plate, are throwing them off. The ad is at http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89629

Thanks for the help in advance,

Julian

Mike,

Looking at my desk, I've actually got that thread printed off. The main reason that I was asking was to be sure that I had the correct information. As I said, the gentlemen helping me out didn't see any spacers and I wanted to be able to point them in the right direction so that we all get what we need.

And as far as the retainers go, the X-shaped ones are just as good as the figure-8? Also, are the retainers the same for the 5.0 engine and 3.8L engine? I'm asking because I've got a 5.0 engine sitting at the house that I can yank them out of.

I dunno, never had a 5.0 apart. The little spacer is on the old cam right next to the first journal from the snout. It can't come off with the key on there, and it'll look like a ridge machined into the first journal if the oil is holding on.

Pop the key out and there is the spacer that needs to go onto the new cam before you put the new key in. That spacer keeps the keyed spacer from pressing too tight against the thrust plate when you bolt the bolt onto the end of the cam.

The keyed spacer is the part used to replace the drive gear for a balance shaft that's found in the standard 3.8 motors.

I don't know if it matters, but David Neibert broke the X style retainer (he had a lot of assorted valve-train problems, pulling studs out, etc.). He did replace his with figure 8 retainers. My SC, and spare engine both came with figure 8's and I didn't even know X style retainers existed until David broke one of his.

True...use the figure 8 style, because they have to break in two places before the lifter can rotate out of position, where as the dogbone or X style only has to break in one place to loose control of the lifter.

When mine broke the dogbone style lifter retainer it ruined the cam, lifter, oil pump and the timing cover.

David

David,

That's exactly what happened to this one although I think that it started out as the bolt at the end of the cam not being tightened and sealed.

Where can I get the figure 8 style since I fear that mine may have hairline cracks? Ford says that they are obsolete and I don't believe that anyone on here has the figure 8 style.

Suggest making a post in the parts wanted section of the classifieds. Someone who does engine rebuilds like Dave Dalke might have a spare set for sale.

David

Check out supersixmotorsports.com. They have a cam thrust bearing that replaces the spacer. They also have some new cam profiles from Comp that don't show in their regular catalog.

Back