5-Speed....HELP......

FireBug420

Hi everyone,

I got an 89 xr-7 5-speed, the car runs good at a idle, but when I put the car in and out of gear with the clutch in, the car just dies..... I cant even move the car now, any ideas

Dies

Could be the safety switch. The switch that will not allow the car to start unless the clutch pedal is depressed could be your problem. Also look for a loose or worn wire contacting the pedal or something you may hit with your foot.

new symptom

I went to look at all the conections under the dash and it all looks good, but now, when i put the car in gear, the rpms are all over the place, pull it baack in to neutral and the car almost stalls then levels out and idles smooth, I'm so confussed is this one problem or a mutiple, also there seems to be a vac leak, once the car starts to get in to boost it starts to kick and buck, thanks for any kinda help!

I went to look at all the conections under the dash and it all looks good, but now, when i put the car in gear, the rpms are all over the place, pull it baack in to neutral and the car almost stalls then levels out and idles smooth, I'm so confussed is this one problem or a mutiple, also there seems to be a vac leak, once the car starts to get in to boost it starts to kick and buck, thanks for any kinda help!

are you putting a load on the motor like trying to move it or just pushing the pedal?

Thanks-for the reply, thats with the clutch pushed in, so theres no load at all, when this began i started the car and the engine light came on, pushed in the clutch and went in to 1st fineand idled fine, leaving the clutch in put it in neutral and it sputters and stalls, now it idles between 200- 1500rpm when in gear and idles fine in neutral, all of this is with the clutch pushed in,

Thats with the clutch in all the time, thats why i'm so confussed, I know the slave is weak, and I suspect a vac leak,

Thanks for the reply, ya only the shifter is moving, from neutral to 1st and back, and it does the same in any gear

I would check to see that there are not any wires in the area of the shifter itself. That is the only thing that i can think of that may cause a problem like you are having.

Back