Cheaper/Better? to get new engine vs replace headers?

jgrenell

Don't know if this is a topic that has been covered or not...

I know I got a used engine put in my wifes Pontiac Sunfire for around $1500. So wondering what others have done when the headers needed work.

Thanks

jg

I mean cost wise. I have heard that getting headers done is around $1500. If it is only $500 more to buy a new engine and install it... Would it be worth it to just get a new engine, if your current one is high miles?

Just looking for opinions. and most likely my cost estimates are off on a new or rebuilt engine...

jg

I think you're confusing "headers" (an exhaust component) with "heads" or "headgaskets". Hence, everyone is wondering why you would even think of replacing the engine due to a header problem.

-Rod

I think you're confusing "headers" (an exhaust component) with "heads" or "headgaskets". Hence, everyone is wondering why you would even think of replacing the engine due to a header problem.

-Rod

Indeed you are correct :eek: Headgaskets is what I mean.

jg

I just got a remanufactured roller longblock for only $750. They usually cost around $2000, so if it costs $1500 to do just headgaskets and if you have a high mileage car, I'd go for the new motor.

Back