My 'power' is back!

Kit Sullivan

OK, with the new transmission in, the car is back to running great again.

250 miles before the tranny went out, I had a pair of hi-flow 'magnaflow' cats installed where i had previously removed the originals and put cat-less downtubes on.
Not only did the cat-less 'Flowmaster' exhaust set-up sound like crap, but all the low end power seemed to have gone on hiatus!
I guess the free-er flowing exhaust lessened the back-pressure which affected low-end boost noticeably.
The car went from a quiet and quick 'sleeper' to a slow and 'ricer'-sounding turd with one fell swoop. A $500 fell swoop at that!

So, all is well with the new cats installed again: The sound is much nicer, throttle response is back to 'snappy', and the car will just annihilate the tires off the line again! Just the way I like it!
Even with the new tires on it (Kumho 235/16/60s), it has no problem melting them down with some heavy pressure on the loud pedal.
It even has the 60s-era, squirrely 'get it sideways' a little attitude when doing 1/4 mile runs.
Using my 'Tazzo' computer, and on a 88-degree day, and with a passeneger in the car, it turned a 15.2 1/4 mile time. Not bad for a relatively stock 'smogger' from the 90s!

The suspension is a little loose, so rebuilding the front and rear ends is next on the agenda.

Yes, with a stock-ish engine, having too much of a free-flowing exhaust will definitely hurt the low end torque on our cars. ;)

cheers
Ed N.

Sorry kind of off topic

Yes, with a stock-ish engine, having too much of a free-flowing exhaust will definitely hurt the low end torque on our cars. ;)

cheers
Ed N.

thats why mine takes off like s*** after having no cats no res and no mufflers and only a 10% pulley flows to good but hey my hg's are in the clear for a bit..:D :D

Back