What transmission oil to use with M5R2?

gear oil will give your m5r2 a quick death, synthetic ATF works great if you add in ford's friction modifier.

Another vote for Sychromesh

Either from GM or Penzoil who makes it for them (cheaper).

i just threw some royal purple syncromax in mine. havent drivin it yet but i've heard good things.

what is this friction modifier ? does royal purple have it ?

I converted mine to Royal Purple last year, and it seems to work great. But, I don't drive it hardly at all. When I do, it seems to be pretty smooth.

JD

Royal purple synchromax is the cross for merc v, their max atf is the cross for dex 3

i just threw some royal purple syncromax in mine. havent drivin it yet but i've heard good things.

what is this friction modifier ? does royal purple have it ?

I switched to Royal Purple Max ATF a few years ago when I could not get mine to go into first if I stopped at a stop light. It cured the problem completely for like a year. That tranny had 77K on it and the RP fixed it up for another year. I was stupid and forgot to put the firction modifier in there. On a two hour trip to Jeff City, I was driving constantly in fifth. Now, it grinds/sticks in fourth....almost THIRTY THOUSAND MILES LATER.

Chris

gear oil will give your m5r2 a quick death, synthetic ATF works great if you add in ford's friction modifier.

Funny I didn't know years ago with my Ranger. Put 90 weight in it. Had a problem at 120,000 miles and took it in. It was absolutely spotless inside. The problem was one of those darn spring rings in the shifter area dropped into the pan. I freaked when I saw it and pulled the tranny. But then found it was in great shape, no cause for alarm.

BUT I did put the proper fluid in it after I was told I was an idiot for running 90 wt.

Funny I didn't know years ago with my Ranger. Put 90 weight in it. Had a problem at 120,000 miles and took it in. It was absolutely spotless inside. The problem was one of those darn spring rings in the shifter area dropped into the pan. I freaked when I saw it and pulled the tranny. But then found it was in great shape, no cause for alarm.

BUT I did put the proper fluid in it after I was told I was an idiot for running 90 wt.

i bet you could use dot 4 brake fluid too..ya think rbrown....IDIOT!:D

I'm using Mobil 1 synth ATF with no problems. As soon as I switched from the factory Ford oil to this there was a noticeable smoothing out of the shifting from gear to gear.

Back