Problems after engine reinstall and mods. (now fixed)

91_SC_BIRD

I pulled out the motor to paint the inside of the hood. (I'm getting the whole car done, so I wanted to paint the engine bay black.) I removed every wiring harness I could remove and rad hoses going to the firewall. I reinstalled everything, and added a 255lp/h fuel pump, 42 lbs/h injectors, 75mm Throttle body, 76mm C&L Maf with correct sampling tube and also sent my SCT Chip to Dave to get it reprogrammed. I also replace the fuel regulator with a new one (for good measure..)

So I turn the key, fires up for 2 seconds... dies. If i want to keep it alive, I have to step on the gas, and even flooring it doesn't do much. If I let go of the gas, it will idle real rough and then die. checked all the plug wires, all in order, plugs are new autolite 103s... checked vacuum lines, all connected. Next morning we tried to fire it up, now it wouldn't even start, but a few times we got BIG backfires. I plugged all the vacuum lines except for the pcv and jammed the bypass valve open, still nothing. Pulled the plugs, smelled like gas very bad, replaced plug started again, and back to square one, runs when you give it some gas, you let it go, it sputters and stalls... not sure what to check next, I don't have a fp gage, but pushing on the shraeder valve gas sprays out, even after the ignition is off. So I know I have pressure (not sure if I have enough though..) So we are thinking I don't have strong spark maybe?. I just need a direction on what to check, change or try?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Check timing...

Sounds like spark (or valve) timing is off. Don't know what work you did to motor, but I would verify correct crank and cam sensor positions first.

Sounds like spark (or valve) timing is off. Don't know what work you did to motor, but I would verify correct crank and cam sensor positions first.

Well thats what it sounds like, but I never pulled off the timing cover or touched any of those sensor, except to unplug them, and then plugging them back after reinstalling the motor. Upshift light goes out when the motor cranks. I tried unplugging the cam sensor and tried 4-5 times, when it started, it still ran like crap(had to give it gas to keep it going).

Just a suggestion. Maybe you cracked a spark plug or something like that when pulling the engine.

Last edited:
Kevin,

Please list everything you removed and reassembled in order to do the upgrades and the engine removal and installation. For example..were the intercooler tubes removed... How were they resealed ?

David

Hey Kevin, good to see you still have your SC.

Was this the motor you had shipped to you? is this the 1st time that new motor has been in your car?

Have you ran the car with the MAF unplugged? That will tell you if your maf is the trouble.

Are the spark plug wires on in the correct order. If you used the "HAINES" manual, then most likely they are on wrong.

Are the simple things like IAC and TPS working correctly?

Have you pulled any codes?

Do you still have my phone #? if so give me a call....I'll check to see if I still have yours.

Dave,

I removed the engine from the car, all the wiring harnesses that i could disconnect (so the fuse box, battery wires, starter wires, grounds, lights etc...) and all the vacuum lines, I pulled off the blower, fuel rail, and one valve cover to replace a leaking gasket, i also replaced the rear main seal. I reinstalled the wiring harness, engine, blower and all, I used copper seal to seal the ic tubes.

Ryan,

I tried the old numbers I had for you, but they are no good. Yes this is the motor that had been shipped to me, but is has been in the car since july 2005. Checked the spark plug wires very often, I think I will install new ones just in case. Not sure about the IAC, I disconnected it and saw no difference. TPS haven't checked. No codes have came up. The thing is everything was working before we took it appart. So either i have something that isn't connected, or a module screwed up (DIS/coil pack)

Kevin, at the shooutout Mark with the 11 second XR7 did a run and half way done he had issues, he pulled it into the pits and let it sit for a bit, but after that it would not start, if it did start you had to keep your foot on the gas and eventually it would die out, after a hour of resealing all his IC tubes for his custom liquid to air setup, it still ran like a bag, Paul from BTM suggested the main wiring plug into the firewall , to unplug it and replug it back in and voila the car ran fine, it had got lose, said hes seen it before, just a thought. Also I remember smelling alot of fuel in the air around his car while trying to get it to start

Bruce

Kevin, at the shooutout Mark with the 11 second XR7 did a run and half way done he had issues, he pulled it into the pits and let it sit for a bit, but after that it would not start, if it did start you had to keep your foot on the gas and eventually it would die out, after a hour of resealing all his IC tubes for his custom liquid to air setup, it still ran like a bag, Paul from BTM suggested the main wiring plug into the firewall , to unplug it and replug it back in and voila the car ran fine, it had got lose, said hes seen it before, just a thought. Also I remember smelling alot of fuel in the air around his car while trying to get it to start

Bruce

Well that sounds exactly like what is happening to me and I did unplug that connector, I'll take it off again, take a good look at it, and put it back in. I hope its something like that!

Well as I tought it was a stupid problem. The lower i/c tube was not tight....

This is how it happened, I only work on the car on weekends (its at a friends body shop). So one weekend I installed the lower tube and the i/c, but I never tight the bolts before I put the top tube in so the I/C is in the right spot. so when I got there the next weekend, I put the blower and the top i/c tube, tightened the top and forgot to do the lower one.. :rolleyes: . I noticed when I touch the gasket and it moved. (Wynns Gaskets)

So I tight it up, put fresh plugs (old one were fouled with gas) and it fired right up!

and yes, I felt very stupid lol

Back