Front Seats- Which Years Are Interchangable?

cp308

I (foolishly) replaced the torn up gray leather seats in my 95 SC with FloFit sport seats, then sold the old SC ones on eBay. The FloFits's aren't aging well- they are not very comfortable and have not "broken in" evan after a couple of years now. I guess they are more racing seats than luxury seats. Also they seem a bit rickety, with lots of side to side play when I shake the seat back. I've taken them out and tightened all the fasteners I can find, but still shakes. Now I wish I had spent the money and taken the chance of having the originals re-covered. Live and learn...

Bottom line, I want to go back to Thunderbird seats. SC preferred, but I would consider LX seats.

My question is, which year front seats will bolt right into a 95 without having to make adapters, swap out tracks and all that. I can sort out the wiring if that is not the same, but I don't want to mess around with adapting the mechanical mounting of the seats.

both 94 and 95 will work, of course, and LX seats from 94 to 96 will work, maybe 97 LX?

I have read that the 89-92 SC seats are the most comfortable, and would really like to go that way, but I understand that the seat belt system is different, so I am wondering if the mounting pattern is also different, and if there would be issues with using the 95's the seat belts. If it's just a matter of drilling and tapping a single hole in the seat frame for the seat belt I can deal with that, but I really don't want to get much more mechanical that that.

Thanks for your input-

Any year from 89-97 should bolt right up. The only thing that might have changed are the plug ins?

The bolsters are different. I think there are different bolster designs, with the '92 and older seats having the bigger bolsters. Not sure about the seat belt connections, but the seats should bolt right up.

i know twotonethunder (Jim) has 89-92 seats in his 94 car and they dont have power seat belts like the 89-92 seats have so he just clicks the belt into the lap belt part on the 89-92 seats... it worked great.. just so you know.;)

As posted the floor pan is the same for all 89-97 Cougars and T-Birds. The 89-93 seats had the larger side bolsters. They are in all (obviously) 89-93 SC's, all 89-91 XR-7's (not sure about the 92's). The 94-95 seats are less supportive in my opinion, but some larger framed people like them better. You could also find the 94-95 seats in certain special edition Cougars of later years as well, but I believe they usually have the Cougar emblem stitched into them.

As noted the 89-93 seats have the passive belt restraint system, but you can take the belt portion off of the track. Connectors seemed to have changed a bit from year to year. I've got 89 SC seats in my 93 right now and some of the electrical connectors are different so you'll either need to swap connectors or do your own wiring if mixing years.

SHO's also had the same style seat as the SC's, but will require some rework to make them work in the T-Bird since they do not fold forward and the seat track is different.

Thanks!

Thanks for the info guys!.. SC's are pretty rare around here (Colorado), so it's hard for me just to go find one and take a look.

Now I just need to find some seats. I guess eBay or junkyards.... They seem to get snapped up pretty fast here on the "parts for sale" forum.

:)

92 XR-7 had the seats without the side bolsters ... I have a pair of those in my 68 Cougar. ;)

I want to put the earlier style bolsters in my 95, the stock ones aren't big enough to hold my skinny butt in place. :p

cheers
Ed N.

The Colorado high altitude UV is not kind to leather seats, or any upholstery for that matter. I have had my 89 SC here in Denver from day one and tried to protect them as best I can. The 89 side bolsters are very large and supportive but they wear quickly due to entering and exiting the seat. Otherwise, they are the most comfortable seat in any car I have driven under $50K. I wouldn't change them.

Good luck finding replacements.

Back