ABS nightmare

hotred

I have a 90 SC and the ABS system is gone. I have had it with a mechanic for 7 weeks now and he is pulling his hair out. If anyone can help him with some technical assistance and he also needs parts please email me with your name and number at
hotredcb@netscape.net
Your help is greatly appreciated.

Acutally, they're not that bad, but... you have to be familiar with them. Most of the time (90%), it comes down to 1 of 3 items: worn accumulator, bad relay, or bad pressure switch and in that order. It is extremely rare to hear about a body valve failure.

What exactly is your problem.....

I know these ABS systems can be a real PITA to repair.....

It started out with the ABS lights blinking when I put on brakes, then the brakes went out completely. I had it towed in and now the mechanic says he is having a hard time finding parts.

Read the article or show it to your mechanic. Once you learn the key players in the system it isn't too bad to diagnose them. Also, www.priorreman.com should still be selling rebuilt master cylinders and new accumulator balls.

Where do you live I have a complete abs system off my 90 sitting on a shelf. Come and get it.

It sounds like your accumulator is failing (a common problem)......

Go to www.priorreman.com and order a new accumulator.....

They are about $110.00

It is a pretty easy R & R job.....

Do not get a used accumulator......

Mine didn't loose the brakes when the accumulator went out. I lost my brakes and had a rock hard pedal when the ABS motor went out. The motor is a big black cylinder that hangs off the bottom of the ABS unit. I would test it at the wiring harness with a 12 volt battery and see if it's dead. That's how I tested mine. It's really not a hard system to work on but the parts are pricey and you almost don't want to trust junkyard parts for as much work as it is. If you're risky though, there's tons of these systems in junkyard cars. Not just the SC used the system. If you aren't worried about ABS, you could look into doing the swap for the price of a new accumulator alone.

I just did the ABS swap on my 92 for about the same price as an accumulator.....

Check and make sure your ABS pump motor is running alright......

Back