Engine surge

90redsc

Got engine started. rad fan inop. put on A/c does not go on. replaced IRCM did nothing. Unplug TPS engine smooths out. still no electric to fan with of without AC on. I did see one wiring harness unconnected in the back by the firewall harness runs off the TPS wiring. I thought it might be for EGR but this vehicle does have it.. Also unplugged ECT, still no fan. Any ideas? I think if I get the fan situation straighen out, the engine would idle right.

Turn your a/c on, make sure you have power going to the fan. If not, check to see if you have power going to the relay. Let me know what you find

I do have power at the relay, sorry and Ive been disconneting the throttle air by pass value to maintain idle.

Ok, you need to find out if your relay is working. When you turn your a/c on, the relay should complete the circuit and will show a power output going to the fan. I'll get you the wire schematic sometime today. If you have no power going out, when the a/c is turned on, you probably need to replace the relay. I'll do some hunting for you, I have an 89 book though, so we'll see how it goes....:)

I'f the relay is doing its job, you may have a bad wire between the relay and the fan.

The relays for the fans are inside the IRCM of the car. Unless you know how to solder etc, the relays are a bit tricky to replace, as even the housing will need to be cracked open very carefully to do it. I do believe there is a write up in the members section on how to refurb the IRCM.

The relays for the fans are inside the IRCM of the car. Unless you know how to solder etc, the relays are a bit tricky to replace, as even the housing will need to be cracked open very carefully to do it. I do believe there is a write up in the members section on how to refurb the IRCM.

Oh, I thought the fan relay was just a standard external deal. My mistake, never had any fan problems before.

It would have been nice if Ford had done that, but because of the need for Diodes etc I guess it was easier just to do things on a circuit board.

check the coolant temp sensor thats behind the DIS. if u unplug it while the car is running the fan should kick on.

Back