MPx Power Package #1 on stock SC

Wanted1990SC

What kind of numbers should I expect from a MPx power package #1 with a double intercooler and fan, 90 mm MAF, 60lb injectors, 255 fuel pump and SCT chip on a stock motor with full exhaust(stock manifolds)? What kind of boost would this setup be making?

Look at my mod list.
240 HP on a Mustang Dyno

Wow thats lower than I would expect the MP3 to make. I made 255HP on a loaded dyno, estimated 265 on dynojet according to the computer with an MP2 uncoated rotors, 100% stock block, heads, and cam. A good article to read would be the Real Street Performance thread.

Hmmmmmmm.....I wanted to get heads and a cam, but my budget may have been significantly reduced. I would like to get 300 rwhp, but that's looking like it's going to be further and further down the line.

Wow thats lower than I would expect the MP3 to make. I made 255HP on a loaded dyno, estimated 265 on dynojet according to the computer with an MP2 uncoated rotors, 100% stock block, heads, and cam. A good article to read would be the Real Street Performance thread.

Before you start jumping to conclusions, you might want to look at the elevation difference, because the last I heard, that makes a difference on how much HP you can make :rolleyes:

If memory serves me, the earlier ported blowers are better suited for a motor that is basically stock.

I don't know why you would want 60lbers on a stock motor either...MPIII/MPX or not....

I think you really need some headwork done and cam it to really fully utilize it.

How much of an elevation difference is there between Ohio and Illinois?

The original plan was to buy a cam and perhaps heads, but I don't think I'm going to be able to swing that now. maybe I can get a cam along with the power package and double IC, but that's about it. Besides, I've been talking to XR7 Dave about getting the parts so I know he'll steer me down the right path. I was just wondering how much the MPx power package would make on a stock car. Just trying to get an idea.

If you overdrive it properly, you're probably gonna see right around 300rwhp (dynojet corrected numbers) without doing heads and cam. It'll require a tune to do so. That assumes you remove any restriction in front, throttle body, MAF air filter and such.

Thats a guess though but should be pretty fair. That assuming a good cool 18-20 psi of boost. Now I did forget to take into account pumping losses from having an older motor. 300rwhp might be tough. But to tell you the truth. Stock the SC motor is putting just over 200hp to the rear if it's fairly strong. If you have pumping loss due to valve sealing or piston ring wear, you're gonna struggle as boost pressure goes up. That might hang you around 275, 280 until you do more work.

If you overdrive it properly, you're probably gonna see right around 300rwhp (dynojet corrected numbers) without doing heads and cam. It'll require a tune to do so. That assumes you remove any restriction in front, throttle body, MAF air filter and such.

Thats a guess though but should be pretty fair. That assuming a good cool 18-20 psi of boost. Now I did forget to take into account pumping losses from having an older motor. 300rwhp might be tough. But to tell you the truth. Stock the SC motor is putting just over 200hp to the rear if it's fairly strong. If you have pumping loss due to valve sealing or piston ring wear, you're gonna struggle as boost pressure goes up. That might hang you around 275, 280 until you do more work.

I'll be your guys' test pig. Throwing an MPx overdriven 15% onto a completely stock block.

this will not happen on anything other than a feel good dyno.

this will not happen on anything other than a feel good dyno.

When we talk numbers here, nearly all of the numbers in the past have been on Dynojet dyno's. With the large number of other dyno's around these days, dyno numbers are going down. That doesn't mean the car isn't making the performance it was before, it's just the stick used to measure it has moved. I'm still working off the old measuring stick.

My stock 90 made around 212rwhp on the dyno at last years shootout using a stock blower and 10% overdrive jackshaft pulley. (hmm, maybe 5%, I forget) It was making 11psi during the run and is an auto with stock converter. That dyno wasn't making many people feel good. (Note a trip down the track in 14.667 at 93.89 at 4200lbs puts me at around 263hp which I believe is a crank number)

Get the MPX pushing out 20 psi, with less hp stolen than the stock M90 making 11psi, and I see close to 300rwhp very possible.

When we talk numbers here, nearly all of the numbers in the past have been on Dynojet dyno's. With the large number of other dyno's around these days, dyno numbers are going down. That doesn't mean the car isn't making the performance it was before, it's just the stick used to measure it has moved. I'm still working off the old measuring stick.

My stock 90 made around 212rwhp on the dyno at last years shootout using a stock blower and 10% overdrive jackshaft pulley. (hmm, maybe 5%, I forget) It was making 11psi during the run and is an auto with stock converter. That dyno wasn't making many people feel good. (Note a trip down the track in 14.667 at 93.89 at 4200lbs puts me at around 263hp which I believe is a crank number)

Get the MPX pushing out 20 psi, with less hp stolen than the stock M90 making 11psi, and I see close to 300rwhp very possible.

With the stock head gaskets still in place, how long do you think it will last at that level of boost?

If memory serves me, the earlier ported blowers are better suited for a motor that is basically stock.

I don't know why you would want 60lbers on a stock motor either...MPIII/MPX or not....

I think you really need some headwork done and cam it to really fully utilize it.

How much of an elevation difference is there between Ohio and Illinois?

You'll see he quoted TomsSC, and I do beleive Tom is from Calgary, not Illinois.

Fraser

It depends on the tune. Don't detonate and it'll be a fun experiment. If the gaskets have been in there a while, I'd expect they are gonna blow soon regardless. I had the gaskets fail in my 90 just driving home from work. It happens with them. ARP Head studs and the standard replacement head gaskets have been holding up so far.

The only time I've seen someone make 300 rwhp with stock heads and cam, is when using a twin screw blower. Based on what I observed first hand with the MPIII, I don't think the MPX will perform very well with stock heads and cam and you would be lucky to pull 260 rwhp.

Get the heads and cam 1st. I think you can make a lot more power with your stock blower and a set of decent flowing heads with a moderate cam, than you can with an MPX and the stock heads and cam.

David

Last edited:
Back