another running too hot thread

f2tmx6

i've read alot of these old threads...here's my dilema,at idle the car never goes above the R,but once driving it goes wayyyy past that,from what i understand its normal for it to be on around the M before the fans kick on. in my case someone wired directly to the cabin fuse box a small aftermarket fan,single speed. if i come to a stop with the car on it will eventually cool down to about the M. i also noticed that the air the fan is pulling from the radiator is cool,shouldnt it be hot if the temp gauge is so high? normally i'd say the engine has bad headgaskets,only it doesnt show any of the normal signs, oil isnt chocolate milk colored,coolant appears to be of normal color,no gunk build up in the overflow tank or rad cap. one more thing,shouldnt the coolant in the overflow be hot if the cars running that hot? because its not even warm. could it be that the fan is too small? i'd say its got a 12" diameter,and doesnt spin all that fast. i know i need to get a real guage w/numbers to know for sure just how hot the car is actually getting. so my next question,what sensor can i remove to install the gauge? and were is it? thanks in advance.
chris r.

coolant level appears fine. i have no idea about the thermostat. i havent had the car that long.

closer inspection shows that it has a hayden af fan. the sticker on it says that the airflow is in this direction ^ and fan speed is in this direction < so its a pusher fan on the motor side of the radiator...isnt that wrong?

closer inspection shows that it has a hayden af fan. the sticker on it says that the airflow is in this direction ^ and fan speed is in this direction < so its a pusher fan on the motor side of the radiator...isnt that wrong?

If its a pusher fan you need to put it on the proper side and get you a stock puller fan.
You may want to check and make sure theres no air pockets in the system.

A couple things.

#1 - Fan pushing against air flow at speed is certainly going to be an issue. It nets out to probably almost no air flow at speed.

#2 - Make sure you have an air dam below the bumper. They fall off on our cars but work at speed to push air up in front of the condensor and radiator.

You really need to get a stock fan setup. My friend's stocker died and he replaced it with an aftermarket that would fit, and it didn't work as well as the stocker and the car would run hot. He slapped on a used stock setup, and it kept it cool. Just my $0.02

thanks for the help guys. i just picked up a autometer temp gauge to get a better idea of what its actually running. there is no air damn on the car..i have no idea how it would even mount? or what it looks like on the tbird? i'm going to try a new rad. cap too. so things i've noticed that hopefully are good signs that the hg's aren't bad:
no milky oil
no oil in coolant
no gunky oil/rad caps
no smoke or steam from the exhaust
no overheated coolant smell
idles fine,and pulls about 18hg's or vac
not loosing coolant mysteriously
builds/hold boost normally
so,my a/c doesnt work,would it be benifical to remove the condensor? i would thinki it would help flow to the radiator and intercooler,no?

i found the homepage for the fan the previous owner had put on. turns out its reversable,just had to reverse the wiring and turn the blades around..so far,so good. i need a nice warm day to test it though.

thanks for the help guys. i just picked up a autometer temp gauge to get a better idea of what its actually running. there is no air damn on the car..i have no idea how it would even mount? or what it looks like on the tbird? i'm going to try a new rad. cap too. so things i've noticed that hopefully are good signs that the hg's aren't bad:
no milky oil
no oil in coolant
no gunky oil/rad caps
no smoke or steam from the exhaust
no overheated coolant smell
idles fine,and pulls about 18hg's or vac
not loosing coolant mysteriously
builds/hold boost normally
so,my a/c doesnt work,would it be benifical to remove the condensor? i would thinki it would help flow to the radiator and intercooler,no?

There's an article in the members section about the air dam and alternatives. That is VERY critical when your at high way speeds to push air up to the RAD. Before I put one on my car it started to heat up more at highway speeds than it did in town.

There's an article in the members section about the air dam and alternatives. That is VERY critical when your at high way speeds to push air up to the RAD. Before I put one on my car it started to heat up more at highway speeds than it did in town.

An alternative air dam that most use is for a pontiac grand am 1993, possible more years and from a quick read thru the thread it seems most got one from GM for 20 bucks or less.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81116&highlight=air+dam+grand

Back