Thrust bearing

FastBird91

It appears the thrust bearing has gone on my SC. This is what my engine guy said and he hasnt been wrong about much as of yet in the years i have known him. My question is can the thrust bearing be done from underneath? In another words can i fix this without having to pull the motor out???
Thanks

Thrust bearing is on the crankshaft. To get at the crank shaft you have to pull the oil pan. To do that in the car you need to drop the K-member. You'll need to pull the front cover and the transmission off as well so you can get the crank out of the way.

Maybe he was thinking Pilot bearing. The Thrust bearing is in the middle of the engine on the #3 main. So yeah you'll need to drop the oil pan to get to it. Is your crankshaft walking ? Too much endplay ? Usually 5 speeds tend to have more wear on the Thrust bearing than automatics.

- Dan

Yes its walking. Loud and very steady noise. So k-member needs to be dropped? What about the transmission, do i need to drop it??

Just the K member to get the Oil pan off. Depending on your tools available, you might need to suspend the engine so you can drop it, or hold it up with a jack under the transmission. I need to do the same thing in the near future to replace my bent K member. You'll need to see if the loss of the thrust bearing surface is wearing your crankshaft also .. you could still have excessive play with a new bearing.

- Dan

what kind of sound is it making? I'm looking into buying an 90 or 91 that is making a loud squeeling sound, 5-speed. I think its a bad pilot bearing but I have yet to listen to the car run yet. And how do you know the crank is "walking"? You see the crank pulley move back and forth while its running?

Last edited:
You don't have to pull it, but you do need to remove the crank to replace a thrust bearing which means you'll need to disconnect the tranny from the engine somehow.

Maybe he was thinking Pilot bearing. The Thrust bearing is in the middle of the engine on the #3 main. So yeah you'll need to drop the oil pan to get to it. Is your crankshaft walking ? Too much endplay ? Usually 5 speeds tend to have more wear on the Thrust bearing than automatics.

- Dan

LOL... My bad; I was thinking Pilot Bearing.

Just disregard that post....:p

Back