Another ABS problem 1992 SC

Darth

My symptoms are different than all the others I have found by searching.

My ABS light (and NOT the red brake light) would go on occasionally for many years, usually for minutes to maybe an hour. Sometimes this would not happen for many months and the show up again almost every day for a while Testing the brakes a few times on wet pavement indicated that indeed, the ABS was not working when the light is on.

Now, the light has come on steady for the last few months. I still do not have a red brake light, and I do not have a hard pedal. The car stops straight as an arrow. And no, I don't want to just disconnect the light.

Any suggestions as to where to start looking?

Check the ABS sensors at each wheel......

Sounds like you might have a short in one of the wires.....

I agree with The-Big-E

Take a look at the wheel sensors. You could have a bad one, or they could just be covered with crud blocking the signal from the sensor ring.

Wouldn't this cause a fault only when you started to move? I didn't think they put out any signal when standing still.

If you are getting the light you should have codes in the computer to read that will direct you where to look. There are actually 2 computers in the module and they look back and forth at each other. If a fault is detected it will shut down the system and give you a light. There are also other reasons you could get thelight. And yes if it is a bad sensor it will show up with the car moving unless the continuity check the computer does all the time fails.

When I hook up my code reader to the connection in the trunk, I don't get any codes at all. A mechanic in town also tried his more sophisticated reader, and he didn't get any.

I had this problem before, but with my car, the sensor was hanging down next to the wheel...have you checked the sensors yet?

I have visually checked them and all appears ok. As stated above, my light comes on before any movement, so any sensor problem would have to be continuity, I think. That is why I was hopping the code reader would tell me.

I just found out that the fuse that a mechanic found blown (and broke it to pieces trying to get it out) was a high voltage fuse for the Anti-lock Module. Jumping it didn't make my light go out (and didn't appear to have a large current going through it).

This may be why my code reader didn't give me any codes. Anybody got an idea why it would be blown?:confused:

Back