Unique 1992 Only SC Brake system part

Darth

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I had a hydraulic pressure switch on my car leaking brake fluid into the electrical connector. this switch was located up under the driver's side front under the brake system on a line that supplied the rear brakes.

A search at local parts stores came up with no such switch. Finally going to a Ford dealership I was given a part number (not in stock and over $95) and was told that it was ONLY for a 1992 Thunderbird SC (even though everybody says the brake system is identical on 89-93 SC's). I found the part online only by using the part no. as searching for brake parts doesn't show it. When using the number, it came back as "SW ASY-PWR STNG AUX". This didn't sound like a brake part which scared me to spend money over the internet, but I was doubly assured by a couple of dealerships that it was the correct part only for the 1992 Thunderbird SC application. Over the internet (by a Ford dealership, directfordparts.com) I only paid $65 and yes, it was the correct replacement.

But no, it did not fix my ABS (see post on "Another ABS problem 1992 SC" by me.

That switch signals the Auto Ride to switch to firm when the brake pressure gets high (doggin' the brakes hard)

Nick

so is this an only 92 part cuz i have a 92 bird and would like to know

That is what the Ford Parts man told me "1992 Thunderbird SC only", doesn't seem likely however.

BTW I found the part number, it is FOSZ3N824A. If you ever have to buy one over the Internet, you have to search by that part number, because a normal search under brakes, etc. will not find it.

That is what the Ford Parts man told me "1992 Thunderbird SC only", doesn't seem likely however.

BTW I found the part number, it is FOSZ3N824A. If you ever have to buy one over the Internet, you have to search by that part number, because a normal search under brakes, etc. will not find it.

k thanks bro

It's not unique to the 92. Heck, my 93 has one and it worked just fine in my 90. It's just a hydraulic pressure switch that is either open or closed.

Part of that assembly is also the proportioning valve that reduces the pressure to the rear brakes proportionally so they don't lock up as easily. The switch is for the ARC and when brake line pressure is over 400# causes the ARC to shift to firm. All the Teves Mark II ABS equiped SC's had them.

Any idea of the fitting size. I'm gonna ping some Hydraulics companies to see if there is something similar available out there that would perhaps be lower cost.

Any idea of the fitting size. I'm gonna ping some Hydraulics companies to see if there is something similar available out there that would perhaps be lower cost.

I haven't thrown away my old one yet so I could check it out, but since it controls when the Ride Control kicks in, you would need to know what the pressure specs are to find a replacement.

OK, the thread appears to be a 3/8-24, although a little loose, but I don't think there is any metric close to that. It uses a regular O-ring to seal.

I sort of looked into the pressure switch thing myself too. The main issue I ran into is that most companies do not sell a switch with low cost and high pressure (leakage) rating. The fitting size is not too important, as you could just use an adapter. It seems that 1/8 NPT and 1/4 NPT are the most common fitting sizes for pressure switches. Also, size can be an issue, as some switches are too large. I think I found one that will work for under $40, but the connections are screw terminals and it's a little large, and it needs an adapter for the thread size.

Back