plug question

89tird

ok i removed one plug yesterday it was a bosch , the insulator was black and it smelled like fuel it was wet , yesterday i also installed a new plug autolite standard in the same spot , i tried cranking the car yesterday like 3-4 times , didnt catch up , i noticed a strong fuel smell after failed attempts , now today i pull out that same new plug and it comes out black and full of fuel , what the hell is going on ?? :confused: any ideas ? pleasee

Could be alot of things. I just ran through a similar situation last fall. I would start by checking the cables that go to your o2 sensors. Check the opposite bank and see if your fowling out both sides. Open your MAF and see if theres junk in there or if you have a bent wire. Double check your o2s again. If you are running that rich it may have pickled your o2s. Something is telling your car to dump fuel like crazy. It could even be messed up injector (maybe?).

P.S. I just went through major spark plug woes and I would recommend staying away from Bosh.

There is an awesome post in the thread i started by XR7Dave
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?p=637319

-dz

just put the plug back , cranked the car started in like the third try , but then :eek: it started smoking from the right side of the engine , white smoke i didnt see nothing leaking onto the exhaust , is the car cursed ?? :mad: i also got 3 cables in one with square plugs loose , they are coming out of the pass side o2 sensor, it looks like it goes to the oil tank what is this for ?

maf looks new , just opened it up and sprayed some electronic contact cleaner just in case

heres a pic of right side o2 sensor

Image115.jpg
[/IMG]

and a pic of the loose cable , this is under my starter on top of oil drain plug , i think this is where it goes , not sure

Image116.jpg

White smoke? Any idea where it was coming from? Bubbles/oil in the coolant?

The O2 looks old, it might be time for a new one (go to az, buy them swap them in but keep the receipt and return them if they are not the problem). If you search the forums you should find some more info on troubleshooting the o2s

The wire going to the oil pan is for your oil level sender, its just sharing the same wire loom.

The white smoke is concerning... The evil HG monster might be here. White smoke out the exhaust?

I would start by running the following checks, that should help narrow down the situation.
1. Bubbles/oil in the coolant?
2. White smoke in the exhaust?
3. If you have a timing light, put the trigger lead on the plug wire that appears to be missing....crank the car. Does it light?
4. How do the other plugs look? The other bank?

-dz

when you run the car ,you say you get white smoke - what does the white smoke smell like....is it coolant ?

check the last plug on pass-side

cheers

the white smoke was in the engine comp, right side , it was only at idle , no smoke from the exhaust , i usually do get the bubbles in the reservoir , the last plug on the right side , is the one i been checking and changing.

no oil in the coolant , however some coolant in the oil

problems with having the oil sender wire disconnected ?

the heads look brand new , shiny silver even theres a blue gasket showing out of it that looks new , the guy told me that it has reconditioned heads , which means that he should have changed the hg , he stripped the oil drain plug so looks like the oil might be really old in there with coolant , which means that the coolant might not be leaking inside the oil any more, i dont know if to trust him.

i want to check the other plugs today but rain is not letting me , thanks for the answers

sounds like you may have a visit from the head gasket monster. White smoke is a bad thing. Coolant in the oil is major bad news. I would not run my car like that.

ya i think so , but i wanna drain old oil and try again to see if coolant goes back in.

i just changed my cam sensor , now car starts with no problem , tach works , im wondering though doesnt the cam sensor give a/f ratio info to let the car know how much fuel to give , my plugs look really rich im wondering if it was because of my cam sensor

ya i think so , but i wanna drain old oil and try again to see if coolant goes back in.

i just changed my cam sensor , now car starts with no problem , tach works , im wondering though doesnt the cam sensor give a/f ratio info to let the car know how much fuel to give , my plugs look really rich im wondering if it was because of my cam sensor

Its a car not a women. It wont change its mind just because it has new oil. The only thing that continuing to run it will do is junk the bearings and whatever they ride on. Stop right there. 1)Borrow a pressure tester from a buddy of yours. 2)pump it up to 15 psi and see if it holds while the car is turned off. 3)I almost garontee you that it will not, but if it does, bleed the pressure off and start the car and see if the pressure jumps up. This saves you the 20+ dollars on oil and a filter. Also, my HGs were not bad but my intake was leaking at the head and I had milkshake oil syndrome. It was tasty but the car thought better of running on it.

Take advise from those of us who have been there. Dont waste your money because you are scared of the problem.

Chris

That sounds like a bad HG. I agree with the people above.

Dont dispare! The HGs are easier than you might think. Theres a ton of information here about doing them.

Take your time, Take pictures, and ask questions. The hardest part is working out the bugs after (thats what the pictures are for).

-dz

bubbles in the reservoir

- or if you have to keep filling it , over-flow tank / Rad ,or it steams from the over-flow tank after its warmed up good ,is the start of the head gasket going most likely.

anti-freeze/coolant ,in the oil isnt ,a good thing ( bearings / friction points )

or letting it set with water/coolant in the cyl's - they will rust ,cause faster wear on the cyl's/rings ,loss of compression

clean these up as soon as possible and oil to prevent rusting . wipe / clean ,them down before putting it back together

cheers

Last edited:
its not that i want to change the oil because its dirty ,its because it has coolant in there and i dont want to leave it in there i bought motorcraft oil and filter a couple of weeks ago just havent been able to change it because this guy stripped the plug and i broke and easy out in there trying to remove the plug, i bought the car knowing that i might have to do hg's , so ill do them without a problem , i got my other car to take me to and from work so i got time to work on this .

i think autozone rents a fuel pressure tester , any write ups on how to pressure the system and do the test ?

Not fuel pressure, coolant pressure tester. Its simple. You get an adapter out of the box that fits on the rad. Make sure you have a good seal against the rad. Next put the pressure tester on the adapter and pump it up. Pump it up to 15psi and see how long it holds.

Chris

It's normal to get a little smoke off the exhaust manifolds after changing the plugs...it's just the oil/grease residue burning off. It should stop in about 30 seconds after starting the motor.

David

oh my mistake , that one seems to be even harder to find , i cant find anybody who has or rents one.

i didnt change all the plugs just one , the weather is really bad and i dont have a garage , i think is all that wd40 i sprayed at the manifold bolts that is burning off , i cant leave the car running for too long to burn it off though since i dont have a rad cooling fan

Back