Can you "feel" a 1 second difference when racing?

I'm a noobie at this, and it's a silly question... but I was wondering...

Suppose I drive a car that would run a 14.9 second quarter mile. The I drive a car that would run a 13.9 second quarter mile. Would the 13.9 second car feel like it accelerates noticably faster than the 14.9 second car? Or is the difference not noticable when driving?

If it's the same kind of car yes you would be able to notice it.But if it's a totally different car you may not be able to tell.Case in point my brother in law had a 72 vette and when I rode in it I thought it felt alot faster than my 85 monte.But when we raced I beat him by 8 cars and he had the leave on me.Some cars just "feel" faster than others IMO.

Jay

If you go from 19.9 to 18.9, probably not so noticeable. ;)

If you go from 14.9 to 13.9, then yes, you will feel the difference.

cheers
Ed N.

My '93 ran a 15.0 last year at the shootout, and before being worked over yet again, my '94 was a consistent 14-flat car. On the street there is definately a noticeable difference.

It is definately a noticable difference. Mine went from 15.1 stock to 13.8 now, it alot more fun to drive now :D

a 13.9 car can lite up the tires at will the push into the seat is way more than the 14.9 caR

I just drove my stock sc after driving my black sc and wow what a difference.

like sc vs dodge K car

So I remember this one time I went to the track and ran a 15.28. Then I put exhaust on my car and went out and ran a 14.27 on a crappy launch.

After I put the exhaust on, I SWORE that it didn't pick up at all. Then I went and raced some Mustangs that previously beat me and I beat all of them.

To me a 12 second car feels exactly like a 13 second car. Same for an 11 second car. I notice a difference in a 10.50 car to a 9.50 car.

There's a huge difference between a 9.50 car and a 7.50 car, i'll tell you that much:D .

Thanks for the replies.

I don't know much about 1/4 mile times, and this (almost) completely stock SC is the quickest/faster car I've ever had. Now, if only I were 1,000 pounds lighter... ;)

I had a SBF pinto that ran 13.0 on pump gas I ran out of fuel and had to put 104 octane race gas in it it ran a 12.60 and I knew it was a lot faster even before I got the time slip. And before someone makes a stupid coment yes it can happen and did. Fortunatly my opponent lifted his front wheels out of the lights and red lighted.:( But I won:D

Thanks for the replies.

I don't know much about 1/4 mile times, and this (almost) completely stock SC is the quickest/faster car I've ever had. Now, if only I were 1,000 pounds lighter... ;)

Sheesh-go on a diet! How much DO you weigh if you can afford to lose 1000#'s?

Nick

Once your car starts getting faster you can feel a half a second at the track. Since I git mine tuned it feel a lot faster. Maybe this weekend I will find out how much.

Back