New source for downtubes

Loaded87IROCZ

I have been in contact with Stinger Performance(http://www.stinger-performance.com/) about making custom downtubes for our vehicles. Here is a copy of the email i was sent back:

Can you give me a link to the thread or a few other threads that may discuss
the needs for SC owners and what they may like to see in an exhaust system?
I'm all for doing it, I just need to make sure I can cover as many bases as
possible so I don't have a bunch of people complaining I didn't do this or
that. Thanks.

Shannon
www.Stinger-Performance.com

From what I have heard on the 2.3T forums these guys make a great product. I can let them use my car to fab them up for as long as they need to. Lets start discussing what were looking for in a exhaust system.

BTW Thanks to Dahoopd for getting the ball rolling on this.

Ed

Using the internet wayback machine, I found the following from wynn's old site.
Dragpipes

Original masters done by me, designed for drag racin'. These are built from 2-1/4" aluminized steel and will bolt right up to your SC manifolds so you can get rid of those ridiculous factory 1-7/8" pipes.
Passengerside O2 sensor bung is in the proper location for a no-hassle hookup and easy starter removal.
Pipes are compression-bent on 5" radius and terminate just before the crossmember.
New flanges included, perfect companion for use with my ported manifolds.

1989-1995 SC (with O2 bung)
price: 110.00 per set

1989-1995 N/A (no O2 bung)
price: 100.00 per set

shipping: 12.00

Here is a picture of the pipes he made.

There is a picture in this location as well
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23595&highlight=downtubes

As far as demand. I'd say 5-10 sets a year. It goes with the seasons and as the cats die, or folks start to make their car more of a race car, they need new exhaust. If you do it yourself having ready made downpipes helps.

Wynn had his long on purpose so that they could be cut to fit depending on if someone uses a resonator or not.

Attachments

• 8995pipes2136.jpg
    8995pipes2136.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 261
I would like to see them made in 2/14 pipe with or with out cats. Of course we definately want the cats far enough from the flange so that unlike the Ford pipes, your hand isnt in a neon noodle hold trying to disconnect them.

When I bought my car, It had those catless downpipes pictured above installed. I still have them installed and they are great. When I had my exhaust replaced they had to streach the hell out of the Flowmaster resonator to get them to weld up. (Probably a sign i should have gone with a larger exhaust but its what I had available.)

Im pretty pleased with them.

Just my $0.02

Stock exhaust pics

Just got an Email from Stinger Performance:

I was going to ask if anyone had a picture of a stock exhaust
(either installed or uninstalled) so I could see what type of connection is
used at the front of the cat, as well as the general location of the cats.

Anybody have pics?

Last edited:
I would be interested in a set of 2.5", but would like mandrel bent tubing.:)
No crush bends!:(

I would be interested in a set of 2.5", but would like mandrel bent tubing.:)
No crush bends!:(

If your exhaust guy does a compression bend properly, the pipe loses little ID thru the bend. Problem is, most shops don't care about the job they do, just the volume they do.

Driver side cat is welded to the downtube. Downtubes connect to the exhaust manifolds using a socket with the manifold having the ball. So it's ball and socket with a flange on the exhaust pipe to pull it tight.

oxygen sensor is in the exhaust manifold for the driver side. Passenger side down tube is longer with oxy sensor and then cat welded to that.

I'm still here!

Sorry guys ive been pretty busy lately. After I sent them the pics of the stock exhaust I have not heard back from them. Maybe they didnt see enough demand for the product? Damon, let me know what you hear back, I would still be willing to drop my car off with them.

Ed

If someone wants to pay shipping, I have a set of factory downtubes with factory cats that they can keep. Maybe they just need a set to take measurements. I used to run them with my Flowmaster resonator but I just attached them with adapters and clamps.

Last edited:
Back