Question for the Florida guys...

ufdb

What weight oil do you guys run in your car during these hot Florida summers?

I switched to 10w-40 synthetic last fall, but was thinking it might be better to run something heavier during the summer. Any suggestions??

Also, I may be parting out one of my 35's. The interior and exterior are pretty rough, but if any of you are looking for something in particular then let me know and I'll see what I can do..

I've also got an extra AOD tranny if anyone needs one. I'd take $20 just to save me a trip to the scrap yard.

Last edited:
3/4 of my SC's life has seen 5W -30 synthetic, but after 200k I switched over to 10w-30 to compensate a bit for the wear / tolerances.

I actually briefly used 0w- 30 synthetic (for about a year), back in the mid 90s. Wouldn't go there now of course, but the motor doesn't show any wear, nor smoke, or clatter etc. because of it. I'm in around 260/k now.

I like 10-30 as a good overall viscosity. Kind of the oil equivalent to 3:27 rear gears. Just right for most applications on cars 15 years or older. New stuff, thin wins. The tolerances of new motors NEED a skinny oil to get in them.

P.S. Back in the 80's and 90's 10-40 was a no no, It was explained that their was too much additive vs oil % to get that viscosity, or something like that (don't recall the actual tech of it) so I always avoided it. Not sure if that's changed or not, to be honest. I'm old school, and i know that was highly known back in the day, but I'm not sure how much myth vs reality it is/was or if that's changed today.

Last edited:
I run 10w-40 Castrol Syntec no problems at all. Even used in my race cars and high mileage tow vehicles.

oils

I read articles years ago about oils, kinda like marshmellow man. One suggestion I recall was, instead of using thicker (higher visc.) oil on high mileage "oil burners" go to a thinner oil. supposedly thick oil clings to cylinder walls and will get past worn oil rings more. Doubt that works well on high perf engines. Never proved STP did a d*** thing, but spent beer money on it----ya know young and stoopid! Now I am older----;)

Does a 17 HP kohler on a snapper mower qualify as High Perf? My parked SC's really good on oil, tire wear, etc.

I'd like to thank you guys....

.....for adding to my indecision!! :D

But seriously, Sams Club had the cheapest prices I could find on oil, and the two choices there are 10w-30 or 10w-40 (both Mobil One). I think I'll go with 10w-30 for now, unless someone else chimes in and changes my mind AGAIN... LOL

No worries, I think 10w-30 will serve you well, you can always switch over to 5w-30 in the winter if you feel like it, depending on how many miles are on your motor. Heck, I was around 200,000 when I when to the 10 -30!

Not real sure what the weight of WD40 is but I find it serves me well. You can buy it in 1 gallon containers and I use about two gallons per oil change. WD40 works great! No squeeks what so ever. I also never have to worry about moisture in the engine block. I run it in all of my vehicles:D

Bryan

Yeah Bry...but...you fill your differential with KY jelly too...and now when you have problems with it you have to take your car to a proctologist.

Fine if you can afford a Dr. looking at your (the car's) rear end, but for the rest of us...sheeshh. Pricey.

Now, on to my crack...what would you recommend...:D

Woo, Woo, Woo ..... way too much information:eek: I don't take a liking to any man talking KY jelly and rear ends in a conversation with me. Besides I find that WD40 works well for all of your lubrication needs including rear ends.

I think JB Weld would work very well for any crack issues you may have. Plus it may be a good color match to the finish already. Good luck with that crack thing.

Bryan

Yeah Bry...but...you fill your differential with KY jelly too...and now when you have problems with it you have to take your car to a proctologist.

Fine if you can afford a Dr. looking at your (the car's) rear end, but for the rest of us...sheeshh. Pricey.

Now, on to my crack...what would you recommend...:D

Back