A/C compressor

dans90sc

My 90 SC A/C compressor has had the "black death" happen to it will a A/C compressor from a non supercoupe tbird or cougar be the same part. if not what other cars would have the same A/C compressor?

Same compressor, different clutch.. Remember the original style that was put on cars earlier than say 94 will have issues with 134a, the pressures are too high and they die.. Also you must get all that black junk out or another compressor will die. I just got a new compressor from www.ackits.com for just about $200 shipped. They also have information concerning black death on their website.

The early model compressor is usually FS-10 or FX-5. However, you need an 8 rib pulley which is not on the N/A engines. You might be able to use the clutch/pulley from your old compressor. :) Oh, and $200 for a new compressor is worth it. A used compressor might be OK, but with the higher r134a pressures as kieth noted, a new compressor would probably hold up better.

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor only use a new compressor, replace the line with the orfice tube in it, the accumulator and the condensor. Once you get the Black Death it will not flush out of the condensor I dont care what any one says. The black color is caused by the burnt plastic parts in your old compressor that went directly to your condensor in a molten state then solidified and is stuck there partially blocking the condensor. That unneceraly increases head pressure and shortens the life of the new one {compressor}. Also be safe flush the evap with flush solvent and blow the lines clear of any black residue. Use 8oz of compatable refrigerant oil vacuum system thoroughly and recharge to the proper levels. This is the way I have always done it and have never had bad results or a comeback. I am an ASE certified A/C tech. Good Luck Garry

Switching out the liquid line really made a difference with mine. I run a Mustang compressor with the clutch switched over. I bought it new at Fun Ford Weekend for $100 and it bolted right up and works great.

Back