What is the normal operating temperature of an SC?

Wanted1990SC

My SC is 100% stock. What is the normal operating temperature for an SC. It's a sunny 71 degrees here in Chicago and I was driving it during lunch today and the needle was stock on the M of the NORM. Is it running too hot?

It's around 200* plus or minus 10*. The stock gauges are not completely accurate, but more of a dummy gauge.

All you can really do is make sure you are full coolant, the thermostat isn't sticking shut, and the spring on the cap is still motive.

Dummy gauge huh? lol I checked the coolant and It's fine. The coolant is new too. I'll check the thermostat this weekend.

I'll put it to you this way, if your low speed fan comes on, then the car just hit 220 degrees. When that happens note the position on your temp gauge and that'll give you a rough idea where your at.

I'll put it to you this way, if your low speed fan comes on, then the car just hit 220 degrees. When that happens note the position on your temp gauge and that'll give you a rough idea where your at.

what temp does it go back off at....

Well, after the car sitting there for 3+ hours, I went to drive it home and the needle immediatly climbed to the M in NORM.

Well, after the car sitting there for 3+ hours, I went to drive it home and the needle immediatly climbed to the M in NORM.

Buy a new radiator cap. Don't buy the stant vent lever caps either cause they're junk. It shouldn't be that hot after sitting that long. Many times it's just air pockets in your system that cause high temps. try bleeding it. There's a couple methods guys use on here. You should be able to search them.

I second that on the Stant caps. This is what I have been using so far without problems.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TEMP...tegoryZ33602QQihZ006QQitemZ160123631699QQrdZ1

4b97_2.JPG

I would also get an aftermarket gauge. The stock one isn't really helpful. My car runs around 200 to 220 depending. I have a 180 tstat but no tune or anything to tell the fan to run earlier yet. The low speed will usually come on around 212 or so on mine. It will almost get to 220 and it will go down to around 200 or so and work itself back up.

Back