Steering rack bushing problems.

FineLineMtrSprt

I went to install rack bushings today and ran in a problem. I dont know if the rack is an OEM model or not...i forgot to look for any markings now that i think about it. But anyway, i got rack bushings from Autozone as the ford ones were no longer available. I thought it looked like something was missing from them...but here goes. On the front side of the rack...where the bolt goes through it ..then theres a cap on the bolt...then like a mushroom part of the bushing. Now the Ford parts diagrm does NOT show this mushroom type bushing and my wholesale guy was already gone from autozone by time i was able to call him. It looks like the bushing will have to be pressed out but what do I do about this mushroom half? If you guys dont understand what im talking about i will try and get pics.I didnt press out the bushing because i knew i had to have that other section of the bushing..so i ended up puting the nuts and bolts back on.

A picture would be helpful. But going from memory, there is a metal sleeve that goes through the bushing that has to be removed first.

Ill get pics tomorrow...but that metal sleeve is part of the bushing...which is in the bushing i got from autozone. But i will do my best to get a pic tomorrow.

SuperCoupe051.jpg

SuperCoupe053.jpg

SuperCoupe055.jpg

SuperCoupe058.jpg

SuperCoupe057.jpg

Ok in the first and second pics....if you can see,where the bolt goes through the rack and pinion it has a washer on it...that washer is actually slightly dome shaped....in the 3rd pic if the only bushing i can find available for SC's or anything else for that matter that MIGHT fit. In the 4th pic you will see the end that actually faces the FRONT of the rack...thats where that domed washer would go...but theres no way it can because the metal sleeve doesnt go all the way through the bushing. In the last pic you will see the side of the bushing that sits against the crossmember.

Last edited:
It looks to me like the end with the rubber cap goes to the crossmember and the other side is compressed by the washer.

Thats kinda what im starting to think..but i didnt wanna press that bishing out and be like...oh crap...~~~ do i do now. If ya notice its on a flat bed....something is goin on with my 3 months old lower ball joints.

Back