horn/possible airbag problem

sendeth

i wasn't sure if this should be in the electrical forum or not, and since i don't know the name of the part so i can't do a search.

my horn stopped working. i check fuses and replace the relay. i took the airbag off of the steering wheel and i saw a small black disc that i could move a few inches back and forth. someone told me that it isn't supposed to move because it cuts the horn off if the airbags are deployed. is this true??? how difficult is it to fix and what is it called???

ok

ok, so no one has ever taken the steering column apart before. i guess i will have to be the first!!!

I believe what you are referring to is called a clockspring, no I am not kidding. It carries current to your horn and air bag. They do fail usually when the steering is disconnected and the wheel is allowed to spin too far. If your car has airbags there is your problem.

clock spring

finally, thanks. i don't mind the airbags since i have no plans to use them. is it hard to fix??? it looks like if i use a steering wheel puller i could get to it easily, but i know how ford works. it's booby trapped in some way, i'm sure.

Disconnect the battery,you dont want the bags to deploy and use the appropriate puller to remove the wheel. A good repair manual always helps.

thanks

i have a factory repair manual, but i still wanted to talk to someone before i did it. thanks again.

Back