A/C switch over R-12 to R_134A few q's

92sclikenew

ok i got a 92 sc

doing the ac switch over from R-12 to r_134a and wondering how many oz's (or psi) does the system hold and witch is the low side of the system (isnt it the one like right next to the throttle body or is it the one closest to the condencer..)

thanks and if anyone knows i need it asap :D :D :D ;)

Last edited:
The low side service port is the one closest to the firewall. The charge of R134a is 75-80% of the charge specified on the underhood sticker be sure to add 8oz of appropriate oil and vacuum the system for at least 45 minutes.

The low side service port is the one closest to the firewall. The charge of R134a is 75-80% of the charge specified on the underhood sticker be sure to add 8oz of appropriate oil and vacuum the system for at least 45 minutes.

system was vacuumed about 3 months ago and it had all new orings on it i dont have the underhood stickers (none of them) but it held about 2 1/2 cans (i bet i over filled it) :rolleyes: but its nice and cold:D ;)

ok what kind of oil is this when i bought the kit i asked them if very thing comes with it and they said yes... but i didnt get any oil to put in so what is it that i need.... thanks;)

I always use ester oil poured directly in the compressor then reinstall the compressor and turn it by hand about 10 or 12 rotations to distribute the oil. A complete chsrge should be about 2 pounds make sure the high pressure doesnt go above 250- 275 depending on the outside temp. Once a system looses pressure it will need to be vacuumed again. Refrigerant and air dont mix well.

The kit is supposed to include the oil. Often in a small can but sometimes mixed in with the refrigerant. PAG is used by most car manufacturers and ester oil is used by a number of individuals. You'll need about 8oz of whichever you choose. Use one or the other. Don't intermix them.

I always use ester oil poured directly in the compressor then reinstall the compressor and turn it by hand about 10 or 12 rotations to distribute the oil. A complete chsrge should be about 2 pounds make sure the high pressure doesnt go above 250- 275 depending on the outside temp. Once a system looses pressure it will need to be vacuumed again. Refrigerant and air dont mix well.

well the ac is all charged already so im not pulling it off and putting oil in now i guess if it fails im going ac less like i have for the past 3 years i owned my car... ;) ;) :D

thanks guys i bet mine came with it mixed in already...

and my system was vac down 3-4months b4 this because thats when i was gonna get it charged up but then something came up to were i had to spend that money on something else you know how that go's....

You can look around at some auto parts stores and they sell oil injection tool. This permits you to add oil to a charged system.. 134a usually does not come premixed with oil.. no oil = burned up compressor, parts thru-out system ending up with possibly having to replace entire AC system ( condensor, evap, hoses accum ) . Not a good idea..
Worse of it is that it locks the compressor up, then you are possibly stranded somewhere... Same belt runs WP, Steering, Alt. = stranded..
advice get some oil in there..

You can look around at some auto parts stores and they sell oil injection tool. This permits you to add oil to a charged system.. 134a usually does not come premixed with oil.. no oil = burned up compressor, parts thru-out system ending up with possibly having to replace entire AC system ( condensor, evap, hoses accum ) . Not a good idea..
Worse of it is that it locks the compressor up, then you are possibly stranded somewhere... Same belt runs WP, Steering, Alt. = stranded..
advice get some oil in there..

well i never said i wasnt gonnna.... but i dont really care if a/c is gonna i might be taking it out to do a custom front mount.... (dont ask why i charged it) but if it brakes it brakes....:eek: if i get stranded owell i dont drive far...

but i will check into this oil injection tool why mess somthing up if ther is a way around it... :eek: ;) :D

thanks tho anyone else got any input...

here is a pic of the kit i bought says something about having stop leak and an oil in it already(but i got the new blue orings on it already so its not gonna leak)... i guess im good..:rolleyes:

and i was jut reading the side of the box(not in the pic) and it says "leak seal and compressor lubricant are in the refrigerant can"...

so now i know im good

thanks for looking out guys...

Attachments

• DSCF1429.JPG
    DSCF1429.JPG
    310.1 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
That'll probably work just fine for you.

For me though, I'd never use any type of leak sealer. Sounds great (in principal). However to me, if a leak develops, it has to be fixed rather than patched. It would take a while to explain why but for a system you don't care about, its OK.

well i didnt get it to help seal it up its just what came with it .... but hey it was only 36.99 for that kit witch isnt bad in my eyes....

and also like i said i dont think ill get any leaks cuz it has all new orings (blue style..)

Back