boost/hp

Spohnholtz

Ok so im a little new to my sc still and had a question.
ok so ive heard boost has little to do with horsepower possibly this is wrong.
So i guess my question is if i get a 10% pully for my supercharger itll add 3-3.5psi of boost. well does "boost" make the car faster and if so then we are adding horsepower right? if so how do you convert 3.5 psi to hp?
or possibly im way off the books and possibly someone can explain this to me?

Ok so im a little new to my sc still and had a question.
ok so ive heard boost has little to do with horsepower possibly this is wrong.
So i guess my question is if i get a 10% pully for my supercharger itll add 3-3.5psi of boost. well does "boost" make the car faster and if so then we are adding horsepower right? if so how do you convert 3.5 psi to hp?
or possibly im way off the books and possibly someone can explain this to me?

well i threw a 5% on my 90 SC and picked up about 2 psi. it was easier to spin tires on take-offs, boosted quicker. it's supposed to pick up around 10-15extra hp. which u could convert to about 7hp per psi, but i dont think thats an accurate calculation for boost to hp. someone will have to chime in with that.

rule of thumb : if you're gonna throw a 10% on there , upgrade your exhaust first and AT LEAST put a fan behind your intercooler.

you get more power by how well you can flow air through the engine. The faster you spin your blower, the more air you will push through. The faster you spin the blower, the warmer the air that you are pushing through also, which does not help. 5% should be ok, do exhaust and improve the intercooler to help you out also.

Last edited:
Spinning the blower faster will flow more air. The higher boost is a results of restrictions like poor flowing heads, a small IC, and restrictions in the exhaust. If you installed good heads, a cam, free flowing exhaust, and a good IC you would see a dramic decrease in your boost but you would would see a huge increase in HP so more boost is not always the answer. Also higher boost from a faster spinning blower will generate more heat. Too much heat and the computer will pull back timing resulting in a drop of HP. Remove the restrictions where you can and you will see better HP gains. Than up the overdrive on the blower to pick up more ponies.

Ken

Alright sounds like i cant afford to bolt up a 10% pully yet then because i cant afford to bolt up new heads and exaust at the moment. ill have to stick with a 5% i guess i did cut my mufflers and am running straight pipe instead witch cuts some of the restriction if im correct but not enoph to bolt up a 10% pully right?

Alright sounds like i cant afford to bolt up a 10% pully yet then because i cant afford to bolt up new heads and exaust at the moment. ill have to stick with a 5% i guess i did cut my mufflers and am running straight pipe instead witch cuts some of the restriction if im correct but not enoph to bolt up a 10% pully right?

The stock resonator is the biggest restriction in the exhaust system.

David

and where might i find this monstrosity so i can replace its discrace with Straight pipe?
and will and would this make it safe to add a 10% with no resinator and mufflers?

The cats are very restrictive as well, one looks like it is almost at a 90 degree to the down tube. A good flowing exhaust will let you run a 10% pulley but you could still run into heat issues which would negate any performace you might get with more boost on your top end.

Ken

Back