clunking noise from back tire

thundrburd

I have been hearing a clunking noise coming from my rear driver side tire, does anyone know what this could be ? its driving me nuts and I dont want to keep driving with it like that, the only problem is its been my daily driver for a while since my other car is in the shop, thanks

Bearing / ujoint

Check to see if the boot is cracked ( if so probably grease has left, killing ujoint. Then jack up the tire and move it back and forth to see if you recreate the noise...

One more suggestion...

Check the brake caliper mounting bolts. Back before I started doing my own work, a local brake shop didn't get one of the bolts tight and it would clunk whenever I backed up, moved forward, or drove over a bump...

I assume I have to take the tire off to get to the brake caliber mounting bolt right ? thats usually when I hear the noise, when I'm backing up, or just put it in gear to go straight , or when I drive over a good size bump

I assume I have to take the tire off to get to the brake caliber mounting bolt right ? thats usually when I hear the noise, when I'm backing up, or just put it in gear to go straight , or when I drive over a good size bump

Sounds like either that or probably a u-joint that is bad. Yes, you will have to remove the tire to check the caliper bolt. Either way sounds like you'll need the butt of the car in the air to check these

Last edited:
Back