Non SC Ford question..

Jacob_Royer

SCCoA Member
Trying to help my dad get his truck straightened out.. its a 99 f150 with a 4.6.. anyway it started missing real bad under a load and throws a missfire cyl 4 code.. well replaced plugs and wires and it still does it... No other codes whatsoever.. could it be a bad injector??? bad coil pack??? were to start??? god that thing is a PITA to work on.... Anyway if anyone has any idea on this please let me know.. Its got about 180k miles on it if that helps any....

But wouldn't it make it miss on another cyl? looks like 2 coil packs per side for a total of 4 with 2 cyls per pack...

But wouldn't it make it miss on another cyl? looks like 2 coil packs per side for a total of 4 with 2 cyls per pack...

if its saying it just missing on cyl 4 check the plug and wire for cyl 4...the plug wire may have layed on the header or something

Tried that even swaped a wire with another cyl... same thing... new plugs in there too..even tried a diffrent one.. Sprayed carb cleaner around with it running to check for a vac leak couldnt find any....

First thing to do is to make sure that the plug wire got on the plug correctly, it's tight in there and you can miss the plug. To check the fuel injector, you could swap it with another and see if the misfire moves with the injector. If that is OK then it is time for a compression check. I would also check to make sure that coolant is not running down in that area from the heater lines.

I would also check to make sure that coolant is not running down in that area from the heater lines.

Huge problem on these things. Swap the injector to a different hole and see if it changes. Did you use good wires or shoddy ones from Oreillleys? It makes a difference on these. And...you are saying that its a 99? with wires? I thought they were COP. If so, you can definately change the coil pack and it will be fixed.

Chris

Back