New timing set?

SenReg15

I just got a new 3 piece timing set from OReily's. Its some brand called Cloyes. I was just wondering if this a good brand or if I should go with something different. Thanks

Jeremy

Cloyes is very good they have been making high performance timming sets for race engines for 30 years it is he choice for many engine builders. you might want to get an offset bushing kit so you can degree the cam and you will have perfect cam timing, makes a big difference as i have see cam gears off as much as .006 . degree the cam and it will run better no doubt at least check it if you dont get the bushing kit.

Thanks guys, thats exactly what I wanted to hear. I went ahead and replaced everything including the tensioner.

Jeremy

92_coupe said:
Cloyes is very good they have been making high performance timming sets for race engines for 30 years it is he choice for many engine builders. you might want to get an offset bushing kit so you can degree the cam and you will have perfect cam timing, makes a big difference as i have see cam gears off as much as .006 . degree the cam and it will run better no doubt at least check it if you dont get the bushing kit.
Offset bushings cannot be used on this engine! The cam sprocket does not attach to the cam like a Chevy so it wont work. The only thing you can do is have new key slots cut into the crank and cam gears allowing you to degree the cam and or have offset keys made for the crank and cam sprockets. You could use a Morana timing set to do the same thing, but the Morana has issues of its own to deal with as well. There is also what seems to be a little known fact about camshaft timing in these engines. They can be off FAR MORE than you state, they can vary as much as 8 DEGREE'S from my first hand experiance.

Last edited:
Mike 38sc..

"You could use a Morana timing set to do the same thing, but the Morana has issues of its own to deal with as well."

Which such issues, Mike?

From what I understand the Morana chain is set up not to have any slack in it, therefore you cannot use the chain tensioner with it. So as it is used without the tensioner the chain eventualy stretch's and the slack is not taken up and timing moves around because there is no tensioner.

slack

Well, there's enough slack to install the tensioner, as I managed to get one on there and was very happy with it's overall fitment.

It _does_ fit fine.

Well then I recant my statement! Evidentaly the Morana timing set works with the tensioner, so there is another alternative to degreeing the cam in. This is good news. However it is a pricey piece.

Pricey, yes

I think I paid 350 USD for it. _Extremely_ expensive. If I could go back in time a year and a half I dont think I woulda bought it.

I think you can get a stock piece for under 30USD. Why so much for the performance piece?

yea, true.

If I had my time back I wouldn't have sprung for the timing set nor the 1.8 rockers. Way too much money for little or no additional benefit.

Back