Help! How to update chip/shut off EGR?

dklitzke

I am just finishing up doing a major tuneup and repair of my '95 SC at 192k. Here's the deal: It has Kooks headers, and the EGR tube has been cracked loose for a long time and the exhaust shop was only able to partly reweld it back together, so it has had a leak for awhile. It has an old Apten (Brian Herron) chip in it that always worked real well. Well, in the course of pulling the header off, I realized that it was not gonna have EGR anymore-no way to reweld and re-install in the right position without bending/breaking it again. So I blocked off the SC/EGR port with a blockoff plate that I had, the exhaust shop welded the hole shut on the header. I plugged the EGR electrical connection back together, and have to figure out what to do with the two vacuum lines that come off the module. Once I get all the vacuum straight, with new plugs, Live Wires, new O2 sensors, new starter, and a low mileage SC to replace the old 192k one, it should run a lot better, but that check engine light will be on. Any way I can get that chip updated to turn off EGR and check engine light? Bill at SCP says it's an outdated chip, but I don't have $300 plus right now for a new chip. Any ideas greatly appreciated! :D

Don

Back