EGR Question...

A1cntrler

I have a 1990 5 speed SC with the EGR. I heard that the automatics did not have an EGR on them from the factory. I would like to do away with the EGR valve all together when I do my engine transplant. I don't want to have to deal with it, and really, what good does it do??

Question is: Does the intake on the Automatic SC's have the port for the EGR there and a block off bolted in place, or is it a complete different intake with the EGR never there?? Where can I get the block off plate/can I make one myself? And what do I do with the bottom on the manifold side to block it off?? I haven't ever pulled a motor out of an SC so I don't know what it all looks like just yet. I have a set of ported manifolds that I will be putting on there, but they are still packed away out of the way for now. I remember there being threaded holes in them, but I assumed they were for O2 sensors until I remembered about the EGR. Do I need a computer reprogram if I delete the EGR on my 5 speed to keep codes from coming up on the dash??

Guess that was a lot of questions....

I deleted the EGR on my 89 5-speed. I don't know for sure if the automatic cars have EGR, but I know that none of the newer model cars had EGR. The main benefit of the system is to help with emissions. You need a block-off nut on the exhaust manifold, I made one. You could make a plate to block off at the inlet also, just use a gasket to prevent leaks. When you get down to it, its pretty easy. You can run the car without a computer tune but you will need to have the sensor plugged in. The sensor is a grey box looking setup that attaches to the inlet plenum and should have a vaccum line attached to the bottom of it that runs to the EGR tube

My 91 had the port, but was blocked off. If you can get the EEC from a 90 auto and swap it out, you won't have a CEL.

Victor at www.spinningwheels-sc.com has an egr delete kit he sells.

I searched his site and came up with about 200 pages of spark plugs (searched for block plate as he has it typed on an intake he is selling) and When I search EGR delete I get pages of stuff for Acura IntEGRa.... What section do I need to look under?

Last edited:
I think I read a post where xr7dave discussed the EGR system, and I believe he mentioned that it wasn't just emmisions, but actually helped to reduce the chance of detonation.

I think I read a post where xr7dave discussed the EGR system, and I believe he mentioned that it wasn't just emmisions, but actually helped to reduce the chance of detonation.

After spending about an hour reading the pages and pages of posts on the subject, I have decided to just pay 36 bucks for a new EGR valve and put it on when I do my engine swap. It is a pain to get to, but I don't plan on taking it apart over and over. The posts I read have left me more confused on the subject than I ever thought I could be. It is about 50/50 on the have it/don't have it. Some say it helps, other say it does nothing. I'll just be careful when I pull the motor out not to break the EGR tube. If it does break though, I wonder if I could use a section of tubing of some sort the replace it with??

It has survived 17 years the way it is with the EGR, so I guess whay really mess with it...

i've got a 90 sc /5spd /with the EGR ,it's said the 90 auto's dont have them.

as far as a block-off - trace the gasket-using like maybe 1/8 steel flat plate ,then cut it out ,drill the plate on the same place as the gasket for the bolts ,use a gasket.

if you drop the exhaust ,the pipe that goes to the EGR will just sorta slip off.

i don't like the EGR thing ,but if i've got to do something with the computer - i don't want to do that ,at least not yet. if there was going to be some type of hp gain -i'd be tossing it

oh and the hardest part about the egr was getting the -i think it's a silicon type vacum hose onto the little gray box

cheers

Last edited:
when i do some upgrades to my '89 sc with the leftover goodies from my '94 sc i'm gonna delete the egr system. i'm using parts off of a '90 sc parts car i have, egr delete plate, egr delete exhaust manifold and the '90 eec.

when i do some upgrades to my '89 sc with the leftover goodies from my '94 sc i'm gonna delete the egr system. i'm using parts off of a '90 sc parts car i have, egr delete plate, egr delete exhaust manifold and the '90 eec.

The 90 Autos don't even have a port for the EGR valve, do they? I thought I remembered a totally different inlet... I'll have to check when I get home! :D

I deleted the EGR on my 89 automatic car earlier this year when it was down for H/G's. I wouldn't have bothered, but I upgraded to 94-95 exhaust manifolds, and the EGR tube location is different on the RH manifold. I got the delete plate from Ford, as well as the block-off cap for the exhaust manifold. For the record, the car didn't throw a CEL when it was finished. I didn't notice any detrimental drivability issues.

JD

The only EGR related thing that would throw a CEL (that I know of) on a 89, is if you unplug the EGR transducer, like 'mywhite89' said. EGR system malfunctions MIGHT throw one... The only time I ever got a code for the EGR is when the EGR transducer wasn't functioning properly or when I unplugged it. I spend so much time on that stupid system -and nearly $100!!!- that I finally said forget it! I cut a piece of tin to bolt between the EGR valve and the inlet port and left the transducer plugged in and have driven it for a few years like that. Whenever the car gets to 250k miles, I think I'll finally retire that old engine and work on installing the rebuilt one WITHOUT EGR! Someday when I get a chip/tuner...I'll make that car forget it even had EGR.... :) ;)

Last edited:
I just deleted mine and am getting a CEL

I justed finished changing plugs, wires, O2s, starter, supercharger, and belts on my '95. I used a blocking plate on back of the SC, and had the EGR bung removed from the header and welded shut. I have the transducer plugged back in, but don't have all three vacuum lines plugged to a good source yet. Last night when I fired the car for the first time after replacing all that stuff, it started fine, ran smooth at idle, but I got white smoke coming from the passenger side of the engine. I shut it off and looked to see if my plug wires or anything else was too close to the header, but it doesn't look like it. I am about to go out and inspect real close again and trying running it again and f no more smoke, take it on a test run. Does anyone know an alternate source to run the vacuum lines to that will work? The top one plugs to a diaphram and the bottom two come off the transducer, one marked reference, and I forgot what the other one is labled. It would be great to have the EGR gone with no CEL. :D

Don

Yep, that is true Jacob. I thought I remembered telling you about it a month ago, but I guess I told Jeff Bratton. I'll PM what I know about it, since it's not really related to the EGR question... :eek:

Back