70k mile refreshening

cinstral

SCCoA Member
i'm pulling the motor tonight 'cause it leaks oil like crazy, and will be doing the following while its out;

new motor mounts
valve cover gaskets
reseal oil pan
rear main seal
new radiator tubes
new belts
metal tensioners
new spark plugs
new plug wires

any other easy maintenance i should do while its out? i could do HG while i'm at it, but don't really feel like opeing up the heads and then having to get the new stud kit and all. (for $$$ reasons) i did the front main when i replaced the balancer about 10k miles ago, so i think its good. to bad its not the manual or i'd do the clutch as well.

thanks for any help,
nic

90 XR7 Black/Burgundy Auto
89 SC Titanium/Tan Auto
90 XR7 White/Blue Auto
89 XR7 Red/Gray Manual

i'm pulling the motor tonight 'cause it leaks oil like crazy, and will be doing the following while its out;

new motor mounts
valve cover gaskets
reseal oil pan
rear main seal
new radiator tubes
new belts
metal tensioners
new spark plugs
new plug wires

any other easy maintenance i should do while its out? i could do HG while i'm at it, but don't really feel like opeing up the heads and then having to get the new stud kit and all. (for $$$ reasons) i did the front main when i replaced the balancer about 10k miles ago, so i think its good. to bad its not the manual or i'd do the clutch as well.

I would also suggest bearings and head gaskets (if you have never done them on this engine) since you have the motor out already.

HG'S and tranny seal

My engine blew it's first hg at about 75k miles. If you're pulling the engine, now will be the perfect time. Also dont forget the tranny input seal. Another suggestion is to replace the freeze plugs, if you drive in the snow and leave her out in the cold often.
jj.

Back