Hard brake pedal

Merlon

yes i know its been talked about for many years, tons of threads and stuff. and i have searched numerous times. lets get that out of the way.

my problem is when i turn my key, the pump does not go on. when started, the amber and red stay illuminated. i replaced the relay twice.
with sorensen mr120. the plug where i put the relay was filled with yellow goo, dont know if thats a problem.
still nothing. i checked my fuses, replaced them. still nothing. i guess the next thing to check is the pressure switch.

anyone here have any advice? is there something im missing? someway to test the pressure switch, anything else that might cause this?
im also thinking about going non abs. maybe.

this all happened at a car show 250 miles away from home, i limped it home. but i cant drive it anywhere with no rear brakes and a stiff pedal. so id like to fix this sooner than later.

okay well

i gounded pin4 on the pressure switch harness. i can hear it going. so i guess i need a new pressure switch.

which looks hard to replace. anyone with any tips or tricks for replacing this part?

Last edited:
Try this first....

Before you invest in a pressure switch (which is fairly expensive from what I've heard), check your ignition switch. All of the electrical systems are triggered by the ignition switch. I had a similar problem a few months back. The ABS and BRAKE warning indicators would stay on after I cranked the car. I checked the pump and it wasn't kicking on with the key in the RUN position. I found that if I jiggled the key a little, I could get the pump to kick on. After I replaced the switch (not the key tumbler, but the rectangular box inside the steering column cover on the passenger side with the harness connector on it) the pump operated normally.
BTW, other than the electrical power to the brake pump, the faulty ignition switch worked fine for everything else...

ill try this out.

if its not the problem i hear that other cars from buick used the teves mark II system like the GN. ill check into that. its supposed to be cheaper.

Just had the exact problem, found the bad pressure switch, got the new switch from a buick dealer (125) installed it and have been good ever since

okay

for what vehicle.

and how did you replace it>
looks hella hard to get at.
i read up, somewhere on this board i read you need an oil pressure sending unit removal tool. or a 1-3/8 socket

It is the same system as a buick reatta. Don't bash me too bad, but I removed my inner fender well and cut a 2" hole in the area of the booster and my socket fit right on and I had all the leverage I needed, very easy!

It is the same system as a buick reatta. Don't bash me too bad, but I removed my inner fender well and cut a 2" hole in the area of the booster and my socket fit right on and I had all the leverage I needed, very easy!

yea but once you were dont you could have got a 2" rubber plug and put it in... :D :D ;)

wait the

wheel well lining? and then cut a hole with what?

He removed the plastic and cut a hole in the metal inner fender. :rolleyes:
As long as the inner fender is in place, you wont get dirt or anything into the engine bay. I would use a 2" hole saw for metal .. I have just the one you might need .... :D Or we could pull it out without cutting anything.

As far as testing to see if the ignition switch is bad, we can use a multimeter and see if there is voltage at the connector to the pressure switch and / or the relay. Im not sure how these things are wired, I have an EVTM for a 94 which uses a different brake system.

And your rear brakes need to be replaced ASAP before they do more damage to your rotor - the rivets are already starting to grind into it.

- Dan

i know

but im not worried about the rear brake rotors, until i actually have rear brakes working.

so i can get the rear brakes.

Back