What could be causing this sound???

platinumsc7

Hello everyone, I am having a problem with my front suspension. When ever I drive over bumps in the road, whether big or small, it sounds like something is loose up front. I'm not sure if it would be a tie-rod end, my stabilizer end links, or the front shocks? I also have a problem with steering wheel vibration when I'm cruising along at 70-80 mph. It maybe unrelated though. I can push down on the front of the car and it doesn't make a sound and the car doesn't continue to bounce, so I'm not leaning towards shocks. How hard are the end links to replace? If any one can help me figure out what else it may be I would really appreciate it. Thanks everyone. Brian

More than likely its the ball joints. Do you ever hear and feel a clunk when you are backing up and cut the wheel to one side?

Sway bar links

Check your sway bar links, I have had two or three SCs do the same thing to me and all three times it was the sway bar links. It sounds like it has a loose shock but it doesnt, the first time it did it I changed out the upper A-arm only to have it still do it ,thats when I found the bad link on the sway bar. So my guess is the sway bar links. Its also a real easy fix that can be done in the garage at home. Good luck Djkerridge[616]236-5552

So how hard are the Ball Joints to change? How about the End Links, are they hard to do? If they aren't that hard or expensive, I may just do them both. I have Wednesday off, so if I could have a reply by then I would really appreciate it. Yeah, the car doesn't want to start sometimes, but I don't want the wheels to fall of when it does run! Thanks to everyone, you are all such a big help! Brian

front susp.

The end links are quite easy to replace but the ball joints should be left to someone who knows what there are doing the springs and struts are tricky and can be dangerous if not done properly. By doing just the links you will not need a realignment but on the ball joints you will. On you starting troubles have someone check the cam sensor , that was what was causing mine to start hard. At the same time my tach had quite working and that was the problem cam sensor[ cheap and easy to repair also]. Good luck Don[616]236-5552

clunking noise

I have the same noise. So far I know it is not the ball joints or the shocks. I had them replaced last year. i had it looked at and the only solution is the sway bar links. It sounds worse than it is. Steve

Sway Bar Links

I don't know about you guys but when I tried to pull my link (LF) the lower side was in real tight. I had to use a pickle fork with a lot of hammering to break it free. Just for Sh$ts and grins I try to pull one from a 93 SC at the local Pick a Part and it was just as tight, Too tight to mess with at the yard. Any easier way for the otherside?
Thanks...

MIKE 38sc said:
More than likely its the ball joints. Do you ever hear and feel a clunk when you are backing up and cut the wheel to one side?

I do Mike. I had passenger side replaced a year ago, but now I think drivers side is going bad. Thinking of ALL new bushings and such while I'm at it.

Also I have a crunching sound when I go over bumps like a speed bump or something. Coming from the front passenger floor board area. Sounds like someone stepping on a soda pop can yet muffled. Bad shock? Bad air bag? They have bags in the front like the ones on the back? Hmmm?

If the Rattle sound kinda like it's coming from the door then it's probably the Swaybar link joint. Thats exactly what mine did.
Use a long screwdriver to pry the swaybar up and down,
If there is ANY play in the ball joint of the link it will make the rattle sound that echos through the car,

Yesterday that is what I found on my '93. Because I'm kinda cheap I decided to tighten up the ball joint by hammering the openning in at an angle all the way around.
(Why spend the $40.00 when your not sure it's the problem)

This worked like a charm, at least for testing purposes. The ball joint was just as tight as the good side, Then I went to Autozone to P/U a couple of dust boots. They didn't fit tight so I wrapped the body side with thin strips of duct tape then put the origanal clamp ring over the duct tape. Now it was sealed, At least for the test. I put it back together and the noise was gone!
This may even be more permanent then I thought.
Hope it helps.

Back