Thunderbird SC in MM&FF?

CurtisPaulfrey

After the "birds of prey" in MM&FF I didnt know if anybody was talking to them about getting a high HP car in the mag. Bill at SCP has already done part #2 with MM&FF and they are trying to get 300 HP.

Ever since I got my SC I have been talking to MM&FF about getting into the mag, I have taken many pics of my car and I hope After I get it back I can clean it up and show all the paperwork along with a good run on the dyno to back up all the $ I have put into the engine.

Wish me luck

Very true but even a 302 or a 4.6 is very hard to get into the 300rwhp without a power adder, heads, or cam

I have seen 05/06 Mustang GT's dyno 265-280 all day, and that are suposed to have 300.

It's a interesting article. 300 rwhp is gonna be tough without a cam and heads.

On a 180K bone stock 5sp they got

192/265 Then they
10% OD on the blower
Air Filter and MAF
Flowmaster Exhaust

They got 230/332

that seems pretty good for what little they have... I have alot more then that and I only did 250/31X ....

I have seen 05/06 Mustang GT's dyno 265-280 all day, and that are suposed to have 300.

Are you talking at the wheels or at the crank?? When the manufactuers lay down the impressive HP numbers, it is at the crank usually.. My '07 Explorer Sport Trac (4.6 V8) says it has 292 HP... Run that through the 6 speed automatic transmission and it definately does not feel like 292 horses....

Are you talking at the wheels or at the crank?? When the manufactuers lay down the impressive HP numbers, it is at the crank usually.. My '07 Explorer Sport Trac (4.6 V8) says it has 292 HP... Run that through the 6 speed automatic transmission and it definately does not feel like 292 horses....

I'm talking about the only true dyno number At the wheels

On a 180K bone stock 5sp they got

192/265 Then they
10% OD on the blower
Air Filter and MAF
Flowmaster Exhaust

They got 230/332

On my bone stock 140,000+ (it's where the odo stopped a couple years back) I got 192.75/293.50.

Just a throttle body. 209.64/307.90 and it leaned out on me so I had to stop.

mustangs arent supp. to have 300whp..they're advertised as having 300hp..but thats at the crank. take that 260-270whp they dyno and do the reverse math assuming it has s 15% dtl that put's at or around the advertised hp rating. btw,the last ford that i know was rated at bhp/whp was the 89-92 probe gt,advertised at 145hp/190tq. every stock one that has been dyoned has put those numbers to the ground. just a little fyi:D

mustangs arent supp. to have 300whp..they're advertised as having 300hp..but thats at the crank. take that 260-270whp they dyno and do the reverse math assuming it has s 15% dtl that put's at or around the advertised hp rating. btw,the last ford that i know was rated at bhp/whp was the 89-92 probe gt,advertised at 145hp/190tq. every stock one that has been dyoned has put those numbers to the ground. just a little fyi:D

No production car has ever been rated at wheel HP. The conditions for rating a turbo car for SAE HP ratings and the conditions actually observed on a chassis dyno are typically 2 very different things. I've seen bone stock SC's dyno 210rwhp when conditions are right. Turbo cars will see an even bigger variation.

It is very true that the early Probe was much faster than the advertised HP suggests. I test drove one brand new back to back with a 180HP (? I think, can't remember) Eclipse and the Probe was noticeably faster.

No production car has ever been rated at wheel HP. The conditions for rating a turbo car for SAE HP ratings and the conditions actually observed on a chassis dyno are typically 2 very different things. I've seen bone stock SC's dyno 210rwhp when conditions are right. Turbo cars will see an even bigger variation.

It is very true that the early Probe was much faster than the advertised HP suggests. I test drove one brand new back to back with a 180HP (? I think, can't remember) Eclipse and the Probe was noticeably faster.

I had a 1989 Mazda MX-6 GT which is basically a Ford Probe. I think it was an 89, it's been soooo long. Anyways, I had a boost controller, exhaust and a K&N filter on it and that thing moved out big time!

To piggy back on what Dave said, I used to own a 1990 Eclipse GST 5 speed. That car was a blast. Rated at 195HP I think and it felt really strong (low 15's with traction).

I lined up with a friends 1989 turbo Probe 5 speed and raced from 30 mph roll to about 90 mph. He got out in front and stayed there. I just paced him. But I was amazed that I wasn't able to pull him in. Both of us had no passengers, my car was 110% bone stock with 120K miles, his had only an exhaust system and 150K miles. I was impressed.

Don't be putting too much into the numbers as they compare to your car or another persons cars. Dynos vary so much it is becoming a challenge to compare, but one thing that has seemed consistent is taking a car from under 300rwhp, to over 300rwhp is quite a challenge.

What's interesting in this article is that they are doing the mods and testing on the same dyno. So other than the weather, the comparisons from one run to the next are going to be a pretty fair representation of the power change.

I found the "cold air" performance change to be of particular note.

i've had 10 probes/mx6's/626 three were 1g turbo's..all modded nicely:D its a truck engine (b2200) oversquared design. the reason he pulled on you is b/c of the tq. my 91 626 gt w/16lbs on the stock ihi turbo,a 50 dollar chip,30 boost gauge and 85 dollar down pipe put down 192whp/284wtq...but i'm getting wayyyyy off topic.my bad:D

Personally, I think it's great the SC is getting exposure in that magazine, regardless of what they do for mods. The T-Bird gets very little recognition and that SC article was the only reason I bought this month's issue. There are way too many 'Stang mags out now anyways, so it's good to see some exposure for the 'Birds....

I just read the mag and i was reading the sections where people write to them and someone with a tbird was asking them why they always do mustang stuff its called muscle mustangs and fast fords where are the the fast fords?

I enjoyed Ford Builder Magazine myself but that mag has all but disappeared from the shelves around here. I haven't seen it in months...

Back