Oh how I "love" my car...

platinumsc7

hello again everybody, I have yet another problem. Sometimes when I drive somewhere, let's say the "store", when I come back out my car won't want to start. It tries so hard, and after a couple of attempts it will finally go, then I get a check engine light. When I scan it for codes I get a 564 ( I think because I have the #14 wire cut ) and a code 121 ( TPS ). Would the TPS cause that? I was wondering also about the DIS? The one on there is good, but is there anything else to put under it besides that white heat grease? I thought maybe it was getting hot. I also seem to have a slight rough idle sometimes. New plugs and wires (Motorcraft), new cam sensor, new coil pack, a supposedly good DIS module, and a new starter. I'm confused as to what to do next. Thanks to everybody who has any input! Brian

You may not yet have seen posts about it but the SC's have a minor problem with hot restarts. As far as I know the cause is not yet identified absolutely but does seem to relate to fuel temp in the injectors/rails. It seems that idling with the engine fan on for a minute or two before shutting the engine down alleviates this sypmtom. Most of us just accept that its going to happen and ignore it.

You cam sensor is suspect.

If it takes a few tries to start the car when hot, it sounds like the computer isn't getting a the cylinder syncronization signal from the cam sensor. So it pretty much has to guess which coils to fire. It only has a one in 3 chance of getting it right. That is why it takes a few times to get it right. Pop in a new cam sensor and see what happens. They cost around $60 beans.

My cam sensor is supposed to be new

I put on a cam sensor a friend of my bought, but never used for his 90 XR7. The DIS module is supposed to be good also (from the same guy), but it looks like ****. That's always something I have been wondering about. I just don't have $100 to try a new DIS. I will check out the cam sensor though. Thanks!

When I try to start my car it doesn't just sit there and crank, it sounds like it's not getting the power to start. It tries to turn over really s l o w. It kind of acts like it would when the battery is about dead. I'm so afraid to drive it anywhere for fear of being stranded.

Could just be your starter going out. When the starter blew up (literally) on my Grand Marquis it would turn the engine over super slow. Couldn't start it by any means though.

Hopefully it isn't hydrolock from a blown HG doing that to your engine..as that would suck.

Check out your starter though, and the starter cable from the battery. Corrosion does wonders to electrical...

For what its worth...check your cam sensor connection again. I had this problem for the longest time until one day the car just did not start...spent a fortune just to find out that the connector to the cam sensor was loose. As deep6 mentions, if the computer doesnt receive a clear signal from the cam sensor (like from a loose connection) it guesses the position, thats why it takes a few tiems to start. Once it 'guesses' right, BAM...she starts.

starting issue

had this problem back in january and found that my DIS was not grounded properly- this caused the slow hot start on my SC. i ended up moving the DIS to the passenger side fender well (a nice cool spot) and it never happened again after that.

Back