My PS noise, any opinion welcomed

watsonlk

I have a '92 that I just put back together after completely rebuilding the motor myself.

My issue is the thing has a power steering pump whine that is louder than the blower over 3k rpms.

-PS rack and high pressure hose are new in last 500 miles (and supposedly new pump but not sure on that).

The details are:
-NO leaks anywhere fluid stays spot on full mark, cold or hot levels.
-TOTALLY flushed about three times with ATF Type F fluid (has an anti-foaming agent that makes it work better than Dexron types)
-Hooked electric vacuum pump up to reservoir top via special tool that pulled vacuum on resevoir to bleed system and pull any air out of the circulated fluid.(Ford prescribed but also a top method on all cars.)
-Turned rack-to-rack, but not holding > 10 seconds.
-When I finish the above steps, it's fairly quiet, and fluid is nice and clear, completely new looking ATF.
-I take it for a test drive, and pretty quickly the ATF is very cloudy, not milky but cloudy from air. I pull the ATF out of my resvoir with my Vacula and fluid is clear as new after sitting for a few hours.
-Removed serpentine belt and engine, jack shaft and blower are nice and quiet Alternator turns smooth and water pump is new
-PS pump feels smooth, but has a little end play when I move the pulley horizontally in and out. I think a little is normal if I remember right, stays centered via the pulley\belt.
-System turns great, but may be a little touchy with too much assist at highway speeds.

Points I'm considering as the cause, add yours or please expound on my ideas.
- PS PUMP IS BADDDD - this is my logical guess OR
- Air is getting pulled into the system evidenced by the cloudy look (but not milky)
******I think this is return side because no leaks and maybe the pump is pulling in air but wouldn't leak since it's low pressure and on the return side

What do you think? Any idea would be welcomed.
Thanks

Did you replace the Ford band clamps with regular hose clamps for the return line? I would also consider resealing the P/S pump itself. There is a reseal kit available from Ford that has all of the o-rings needed, and even the front pump seal is included, it covers many vehicles as this pump design was used on almost all Ford vehicles for many years.

That's a good point.
I used a clamp on the bottom that is a 360 degree band that tightens with a nut. Used to use them on my race bike for high pressure feed line.
The top one is still the spring clamp, but I don't think that would suck air if it didn't leak, since it's plastic to rubber connection. Maybe I should use my new band clamp on that too.

I thought of resealing the pump, but if it turns out to be bearing noise instead of an air issue, a new one would probably be safer to do.
I'm even thinking of buying NEW one from Ford if still available since they fit different model Fords, I think.

Any ideas??? Hmmm.. tried maple syrup?

Anyways.. if you don't have full power steering assist, might be a restriction somewhere? Debris in the line or a serious crimp/bend somewhere.

Oh.. is the EVO hooked up correctly and working?

Mine makes a loud whine when the fluid is low and when its under a load. I can top it off with just a few ozs of fluid, run it for a bit and the problem goes away. Either that or a glob or 2 of maple syrup :D :D :eek:

Try this...

I started using Valvoline Synthetic PS fluid and it basically eliminated all the whine from my pump... Might work for you, too...

Thanks for the info, I think I'll try some of that synthetic fluid.
The system works fine, just aerating the fluid from what I can see visually.
No leaks and everything is hooked up.

Mine did the same thing, I just lost it and threw in a new pump for an 86 F150, have not heard a peep since.

Just a thought.

Replace the pump...Yep I'm looking at the same option I think.
I did a full flush with Valvoline Synthetic PS Fluid, bled it out good and it's somewhat quieter now, but still louder than the blower whine above 3500 rpm. I gotta hear that blower so it's getting a new pump soon.

Weird thing was, during my flush, when the reservoir was empty, no fluid in the pump, it was quiet so I'm pretty sure it's the vanes in the pump, not a bearing but at least it's all an assembly minus the reservoir.

Thanks for the help everybody.

My Lincoln LS was making a steering pump noise.
Lincoln had a TSB 04-10-01 advising to add Motorcraft Additive Friction Modifier XL-3 to the Mercon XT-2-QDX fluid.
Mix 50ml (10 teaspoons or 1.7 oz.) of XL-3 with 50ml of Mercom ATF and add to reservoir.
The noise went away.

Anyone heard of this stuff?
I wonder if it would work for other Ford pumps?

I got the friction modifier and it didn't help any at all.
I have a new pump I'm going to install pretty soon, we'll see if it fixes it up.

did you try and bleed the system with the front end jacked up? You might have some air in the system but other than that I would chalk it up to being a ford power steering pump and they all whine somewhat

Yep, even hooked an electric AC vacuum pump to a special cap I modified to get all the air out.
It was quieter for a little bit but then got noisy again.
I'm putting my new pump on this weekend, with a new EVO so we'll see the outcome. I just hate throwing parts on a car to fix it, but it can't be much else. (Famous last words on an SC)

Yep, even hooked an electric AC vacuum pump to a special cap I modified to get all the air out.
It was quieter for a little bit but then got noisy again.
I'm putting my new pump on this weekend, with a new EVO so we'll see the outcome. I just hate throwing parts on a car to fix it, but it can't be much else. (Famous last words on an SC)

How about this one for ya. When I put the 5.0 in my car at first the steering wheel would turn all the way to the left on its own. Then it stopped that but the wheel was locked. So it was either the rack or the new pump I put on there but it turned to be the pump

Back