Bad master clutch cylinder????

Mike Puckett

SCCoA Member
After my 3rd gear synchro went last week, I was able to get my spare tranny installed to be able to run it again this weekend. There were no hints of any problems at all driving it home from where it was changed and then driving it to the track thru stop and go traffic. It shifted great and ran fine. On my 1st time trial when I shifted to 2nd I got nothing but rev limiter. I pushed the clutch in and played with the shifter, felt like it was in gear just fine but no go. Then finally it caught and I got going again but the same thing happened again on my 3rd gear shift. I then just drove it on out easy and went back to my pit. Then it shifted and drove just fine. No problem with the gears or clutch at all. My next time trial was a repeat of the 1st. Back in the pits I started playing with the clutch pedal and could by repeatedly pushing the pedal in and out quickly I could make it hang midway. The pedal's been making a noise for a couple of months and I'm inclined to think the master cylinder is failing. I'm thinking the noise I've been hearing is the cylinder sucking air. I put in a new slave cylinder with the swap. Anybody got any thoughts on this?

How is the shape of the connection between the clutch pedal and the master cylinder shaft? Could that be egging out causing the pedal to bind on the shaft?

That's a possibility. I haven't checked it yet. The rod's part of the new cyl and as is a new bushing and clip I believe. I think some of the groan is from the pedal pivot bushing. Normal driving is no problem. It's only speed shifting that makes it hang like I was in neutral. And, I would think that if it was picking up air at the slave or it needed to be bled again that I would have trouble disengaging the clutch not re-engaging it.

Back