suspension overhaul progress

quicktsi

I am planning to get the suspension overhaul finished this week. I will be installing the ILK222, front and rear sway bar end links, front upper and lower control arms, and outer tie rod ends, upper strut bearings, rear poly spring mounts.

Day 1 Friday night

I got the car on jack stands. Tires removed and stored. Every nut and bolt that may be removed was sprayed down with PB blaster. Removed all of the ARC actuators.

Day 2 Sunday afternoon

Took off the rear sway bar links and turned the bar up out of the way. Not knowing that the shock held everything in place, I unbolted the rear passenger shock from inside the car. I wondered why it made so much noise when it released. I then unbolted the upper spindle mount. I then put a spring compressor on the spring to get it out. Getting the spring out is what took the longest amount of time. I tried a few different ways to install the new spring. The way that ended up working was to install the poly spring mount in to the control arm. Then I taped the upper poly spring mount to the spring. I used a little pb plaster in the lower mount channel and on top of the upper mount. Using the PB blaster allowed me to fine tune the alignment of the spring and mounts once it was in place. After that I put everything back together, and installed the ARC actuator to the new shock. I moved all the tools to the drivers side so I can work on it tomorrow after work. I then grilled steaks for Fathers day and we had my parents over.

Here are some more updates. All the stuff was done after work.

Day 3 Monday.

I pulled the shock and spring out. I look at the SCP rear poly mounts and the bushings are to big. I installed the new spring and strut and put it all back together. I then put the rear tires on and lowered the rear of the car and loosely installed the SCP rear sway bar end links. At this point I pushed up and down on the rear of the car to see any new results and the rear of the car bounced like a basketball. Not sure what this is about but decide to call it a night.

Day 4 Tuesday

The wife gets me a new fan for the garage tonight. I move to the front drivers side and begin taking it all apart. I get everything out except for the TC rod. Here is what it looks like. I used a couple of adjustable wrenches and will get the right ones before assembly.

Picture557.jpg

Picture559.jpg

Day 5 Wednesday

I called my tire guy and he let me know what my choices are. I found the alignment marks for the strut bushing to strut. I took pitctures of the Moog strut mount next to the factory mounts and posted them in another thread. I then assembled the drivers side spring/strut/mount.

Day 6 Thursday

No actual work was done Thursday. I did go by Sears and get the correct size wrenches but they are out of the 30mm socket. We then head to Oreilley's and pick up a 30mm socket and new box of heavy duty latex work gloves. They order in the TC rod donut bushings.

Day 7 Friday

No work again. I call my tire guy and have him order a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position with UNI-T AQ II. We stop by Oreilley's again to pick up the Blue thread locker I forgot last night. I also take a look at the TC rod donut bushings, think I may have these at home. It turns out I don't have the donut bushings but do have and extra set of the tc to control arm bushings. So tomorrow I will be doing an exchange.

bs_potz_re960as_pole_ci2_s.jpg

Day 8 Saturday

To finish everything.

Day 9 Sunday

Get new tires and car aligned.

I just put on a new set of Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position's in the stock 225-60-16" size on my 94 SC and man, what a difference a new set of good tires makes on the overall feel of the car...it's like night and day. I would recommend this tire to anyone looking for a good all season radial tire. BTW,Tire Rack/Bridgestone is offering a $75.00 rebate on a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position's until June 30th.:D

Hope everything works out well on your suspension overhaul.

Last edited:
As of 5:30 the drivers side is done and have moved to the passenger side. I took of the nut at the strut rod to frame and then decided to take a break.

Thank you for the feed back on the tires. They had pretty good reviews on the tire rack. My tire guy works for Firestone so I should get the rebate too.

After a dinner break at 7 for some KFC, it was back to work. I finished up about 10:30 last night. I did not get to drive it, because it was raining. I am a little concerned about the shocks. It is not as firm as I thought. Maybe after it gets driven they will firm up. I just backed it up about 10 feet and pulled it forward.

Only 1 bonehead move. I used the wrong nut on the passenger rear control arm mount. I did not have an extension the right size, so I had to pull the freshly installed strut back out.

I am off to get the alignment and tires.

Back