Can I port the stock manifolds while.....

Blue89SC

Can i port the stock manifolds while they are on the car. What exactly is the most restrictive part on the manifolds. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Anthony

guntech..

"dont even think about doing that . that will be for trouble then u would want"

Why not?

Jam a rag up in the collector and use a pin grinder and cut that ring out (you'll know what im talking about once you release the downtube from the manifold). You can pick up almost an additional 3/8" of flow easy.

I and many others have done so.

Darryl

Originally posted by Blue89SC
Can i port the stock manifolds while they are on the car. What exactly is the most restrictive part on the manifolds. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Anthony

Unless everyone thinks theirs will look like the pics below, then the answer is NO.

You cannot port them while on the car and expect to get more than amateur results. You will not get them fully ported, you will however get a never-ending face full of dust/dirt/etc. Last but not least, the studs should be changed.

As far as restrictions the collector is the main culprit. See pics of ported manifolds on my for sale page for more info. Not a plug for my parts, just some good pics.

good luck whichever way you decide,

'bird

step226.jpg

pass516.jpg

Guntech

"HEY SC NEWBE DO NOT MAKE FUN OF MY REPLY. IT IS STUPID TO DO THAT WITH THE HEADS STILL ON"

Sure pal. Surely I don't know anything about the SC as I've only posted a dozen or so messages here. Excellent deduction. punk.

ciao

hey there is no need gor name calling. i just said that way is not the best way. casue there is that greater chance of it messing up.iam not going to call u any names. casue there is no need too

Yea Darryl, you newbie :D :D :D :D :D

I think it's an unfavorable job to do from underneath the car, but I agree with darryl that anyone ambitious enough could do it.

Brian

You should be able to open up the collectors by using a series of three reamers with about 1/8" diameter difference between them. You would need either a low speed electric or pneumatic tool to drive the reamers. I realize that this would be quite expensive, but should yield professional results without removing the manifolds from the engine. Does anyone know what the final diameter should be?

jwillie

Originally posted by jwillie
You should be able to open up the collectors by using a series of three reamers with about 1/8" diameter difference between them. You would need either a low speed electric or pneumatic tool to drive the reamers. I realize that this would be quite expensive, but should yield professional results without removing the manifolds from the engine. Does anyone know what the final diameter should be?

jwillie

[rant mode on]

Just my 2¢ but I think you'd be surprised at what physical effort will be required to use the tools you mentioned while underneath the car. Even if the car is on a lift and you can stand there I hope you're 6'4" and weigh 240 pounds. Again, even with goggles be ready for a face/eyes full of stuff you ain't gonna like. Also, let whatever grinder you use hang up a coupla times and then maybe, just maybe, you'll get the message.

Not tryin' to be stubborn about all of this but I've worked pipe for 14 years and have busted more than my share of knuckles/elbows and wrenched a few shoulders along the way. Whether some technique is faster or cheaper or will work or will not isn't always what matters...what matters is whether it's safe.
If safety doesn't matter to you then I don't want (or need) you workin' around me or on my stuff.

Do it right=safely or don't do it at all.

[rant mode off]

Final inside diameter should be 2" up to and including the O2/EGR ports.

'bird

ps: DarrylO, you have such a nice car but you expect us to believe you took such a cheesy way out on your exhaust manifolds?

remove them

its a beach to do in car . and even out of car its no walk in the park. I mounted mine in a drill press and used a intake valve i brazed a cutting tool to . to cut it took about five minutes each to cut them then you have to polish then up some thats what takes the time. or you can use a carbide burr and spend a day cutting and polishing up and as told earlyer their is alot of metal comming off if you do under car you will be on the receiving end of about 1/4 cup of metal shavings some will get in your skin . hurts like hell.

Back