Wheel/tire width Vs. Spindle

Matt Man 89SC

Hi all,

I'm trying to find some information on the possible tire/wheel widths vs. the spindle used, 89-92 or 93+. I seem to recall, that you are able to fit a wider rim, or more backspacing when using the 89-92 type spindles. Is this true? My car is a 89 and all I have are the 89 style spindles or i'd just measure it for myself. Does anybody have any measurements or pictures that could help me out with any of this? I looked in the archives, but could not find anything with any detailed info.

Thanks.
~Matt

Oh, I forgot to mention, this is for front spindles.

Merlon, What year is your car? Do the same wheels with 275's fit in the front too?

~Matt

90sc

and probably no. i run 245s in the front.
doubt you could run 275s in the front without rubbing when turns.

rim clearence

I'm running 17X9 in rims on the front and rear, 245/40 front and 275/35 rear. The problem I had was the driver's side rim scraping the spindle in high g turns. It wasn't a lot, the tire wasn't touching, but it was annoying. I added 1/4 inch spacers and the problem was fixed (they are a real PIA to keep positioned correctly.) This did, however, open a considerable amount of space for the tire. I haven't tried it yet but I'm pretty sure that that the 275 will work up front with the spacer in place. (Now if we could get a 10" rim for the rear, there's probably enough room to run 335's back there.) I understand that 255/40's clear the front spindle on stock and 8" rims.

I know this isn't the question, but just remember if you ever want to upgrade to 13" brakes, you will need to upgrade to 93 & up spindles.

I know this isn't the question, but just remember if you ever want to upgrade to 13" brakes, you will need to upgrade to 93 & up spindles.

That is actually part of the reason I was asking this. I have figured out how to modify the spindles and make some anchor brackets to put on whatever calipers I decide I want to run on the earier spindles. (Safely of course, its gonna take some machining, and will be one off parts.) But only if there is an advantage to using them. If I can't fit a wider rim on them, then its just not worth the effort, and better to just buy the newer spindles. I have an extra set of 89-92 spindles and love projects like this, so I thought hey why not... I just don't have any 93+ ones to compare them to, to see if there is a difference.

Thanks.
~Matt

These fit also

I am running a 17X9 with 255/45 all around and only had issues with the front wheel rubbing on the spindle, not the tires, so I added the 1/4 spacer and it works just fine. Yeah there seems to be plenty of room in the rear for a wider tire, but finding the wider wheel is going to be the problem. I have considered going to the 255/50 so it is closer to the original tire heighth, just haven't checked into clearance on the front with it being lowered 1.5"..

Hope this helps.

Smitty

Hi all,

I'm trying to find some information on the possible tire/wheel widths vs. the spindle used, 89-92 or 93+. I seem to recall, that you are able to fit a wider rim, or more backspacing when using the 89-92 type spindles. Is this true? My car is a 89 and all I have are the 89 style spindles or i'd just measure it for myself. Does anybody have any measurements or pictures that could help me out with any of this? I looked in the archives, but could not find anything with any detailed info.

Thanks.
~Matt

The early cars have more clearance with respect to the Upper Control arms. The specs of my 9" and wider wheels have 5/16" clearance on a late car & 3/8" on a early car. I have a 18X9.5 GT500 and its a nice fit on an early or later car but as wide as it gets in the front IMO...

So....You can use more posative offset on an early car than ya can a late car. About 10MM cushion

visit: www.thecustomwheelshop.com

Brad

I have a 91 with 93 front spindles and cobra brakes front and rear. I run Cobra replica 17x9 wheels with 275/40 tires all around and 5mm spacers on the front. GY Eagle F1 on the Street and Toyo RA-1 on the track. The car is lowered 1.5".

Only issue I ever had was occasionally it would rub a little on the rear fender lip, so I rolled the fender lip. Now I have no issues at all, even on the track with hard cornering.

Russell, do you have any photos of your car at rest with the 275s all around? The photos on your member page look great, but I'd like to see the fit on that size tire when the car is parked too. ;)

cheers
Ed N.

I couldn't find any on my computer, I'll ask my son if has any by chance. Unfortunately the motor and tranny is out of the car at the moment getting rebuilt so it's a little light on the nose. :)

I'll keep looking around, I thought I had some.

You really can't see much difference between the 255/45 and 275/40. The 275's are just easier to get in the Toyo's.

Back