C4 Transmission in an SC?

DrFishbone

SCCoA Member
After looking at a spare AOD transmission that's been sitting on the floor in my garage, my dad is curious to whether a C4 will bolt up to an SC engine. I don't know, but he thinks the bell housing looks like it would. Anyone know for sure? I think he may be thinking about putting one in his '46ish Willys Jeep if it would work out. :D

As long as it has the standard SBF bellhousing bolt pattern then yes it will. I'm not familiar enough with the C4 to know if it came with anything other than that. I believe there are several on the board right now with C4's.

I know someone who put a T-Bird AOD in their Fox Mustang, pretty sure that it had a V8 too... anyone else know anything bout it? I don't know much about what transmissions are what outside of SC's.

it will work..

As Kevin has stated it is a bolt in. Now if you want to go bullet proof, then find a C6 from the early 70's There are some that had the same bolt pattern as we use. Best place to look is behind a 351 "C" . These will bolt right in and will take a beatting up to 800 or so horse's. The C4 is good to somewhere in the mid 4's with normal work done to it. Sure, you can get them to live past 600, but it becomes a game. You know it will break, you just don't know when......I have tried both so I know on this one........Rich

the stock flexplate works

That was the answer to my next question :)

Kevin - is your SC with the C4 a street car? If so, what kind of RPM's does the engine turn at say, 60mph in 3rd gear? (with whatever rear gears your using)

I have a rebuilt C4 in the garage that was going to go into my 66 Mustang, but since I've been driving my 5-speed SC, I thought It would be more fun to find a 4-speed for the mustang instead of the ole automatic. :D

That was the answer to my next question :)

Kevin - is your SC with the C4 a street car? If so, what kind of RPM's does the engine turn at say, 60mph in 3rd gear? (with whatever rear gears your using)

I have a rebuilt C4 in the garage that was going to go into my 66 Mustang, but since I've been driving my 5-speed SC, I thought It would be more fun to find a 4-speed for the mustang instead of the ole automatic. :D

i am running 3.90's with a 28" tire it turns around 2,900 rpms, I do drive it on the street, but it is not my daily driver. I would stay away from a C6. yes they are very strong, but a C4 can be built to handle some serious power. C6's are too heavy and eat too much HP. this is the last year for my c4. the next tranny will have even 1 less gear. i will be running a 2 speed GM powerglide.

got one for you

I thought It would be more fun to find a 4-speed for the mustang instead of the ole automatic. :D[/QUOTE]

I have some Ford top loader 4 speeds that I could let you have for the right $$$. If this is something you want, P.M. me and we can go from there.

Now on another note, they also fit into the S.C. so you can have a transmission that will always work...just some more food for the "food chain".............Rich

Thanks for the offer Rich, but I think we have one in our personal car-part collection. :) If not, I know where to get one now.

Kevin, did you need to shorten/lengthen the driveshaft? I'm not sure how long the C4 is compared to the AOD. And a 2-speed huh? :eek: I'll have to do a little research on that one....

Thanks for the offer Rich, but I think we have one in our personal car-part collection. :) If not, I know where to get one now.

Kevin, did you need to shorten/lengthen the driveshaft? I'm not sure how long the C4 is compared to the AOD. And a 2-speed huh? :eek: I'll have to do a little research on that one....

the driveshaft will work. alot of drag cars use the old powerglides. they are very light and take little HP to turn. Many of the old chevelle's, Nova's, ect.. came factory with these.

actually quite a while longer. I will not be racing next year due to the fact i am planning on running a big centrifugal charger with the split port heads and a custom sheetmetal high rise intake along with a solid roller cam. I just fired mine up a few minutes ago with solid roller lifters on my old cam and installed a randy baker intake. which actually all i used was his return plenum and i made the intake from mine since it was extrude honed.man does it like to rev quick now. just a quick stab of the throttle it will go to 6000 right now!!! I am planning on running it over the next 3 days, but i will be taking it easy. no transbrake and i am going to shift it a 5500 for now. if it runs any where near my old times i am going to be really excited.

I just fired mine up a few minutes ago with solid roller lifters on my old cam and installed a randy baker intake. which actually all i used was his return plenum and i made the intake from mine since it was extrude honed.QUOTE]

Can you start a thread showing the intake and what you have for the intake? I mean, I dont want to jack this one, but I am not sure what you are stating here...

Chris

P.S. The c4 has more outlets selling them because they are light and strong when built correctly. Even BBF guys are running them in some of their cars.

P.S. The c4 has more outlets selling them because they are light and strong when built correctly. Even BBF guys are running them in some of their cars.

That's why I was interested in them...wondering if there was a good, easier-to-find replacement for the AOD. The base T-Birds have less durable components in their AOD's, right?** I also have it in mind that of most all the other AOD's in other Ford cars aren't quite the same as the SC's. I could be very wrong though - is there important differences between the "versions" of the AOD's?

**Of course, I guess not every C4 is bullet-proof either.

C4 is a good tranny, but i trust it about as much as a T5 when stock to handle alot of torque for very long, especially in a 3300+lbs car.

Glide is the way to go... no different then running a c4, th400, etc. on the street, as high gear is still 1:1 for all of them. Though you will actually maybe lose a tenth or two going to a glide in a lower hp car, but in the longrun its more benefitial IMO having a stock tranny that will take beating after beating.

Back