Remote Keyless Entry Module Interchangeability

Danzajax

Does anyone know if the remote Keyless entry module would be interchangeable with the standard Keyless entry unit in a 92?

If so, how do I identify the remote style keyless entry module?

Thanks
-DZ

Hmm,

I am not sure if the 92 has the same configuration, but on my old 1990 SC (now wrecked), there was a separate module for the remote keyless mounted under the dash. I think that all of the wiring connections were under the dash - i.e., the module did not have its own wiring, but piggybacked onto the standard car wiring.

Hmm,

I am not sure if the 92 has the same configuration, but on my old 1990 SC (now wrecked), there was a separate module for the remote keyless mounted under the dash. I think that all of the wiring connections were under the dash - i.e., the module did not have its own wiring, but piggybacked onto the standard car wiring.

I think that would be an aftermarket install, as the early year cars did not have remote keyless systems.

I would think that the remote unit would not be compatible with the wiring on the older units.... just because its a Ford thing, and heck, the wiring changed for the EEC almost every year, despite it was basically the same EEC unit :cool:

Oh well.

I agree with fturner, I would think the module would replace the one mounted in the trunk. I might still go to the junkyard and snip out a keyless module out of a late model ford just to play with. Thanks for the input.

-dz

My white 92 has an aftermarket keyless entry system installed by the PO.......

The keypad on the door doesn't work, so I don't know if there was a problem with the OEM sytem and the PO bypassed it with the aftermarket system.....:confused:

Some of the early cars did have a remote keyless entry with alarm, but I think it was a dealer-installed accessory. My white 90 had it, but it is wrecked now.

Ive found a pin-out for a 95 ford Taurus which are pretty plentiful. The pins are pretty straight forward and it looks like I would need to run only a few extra lines at minimum to make it work.

PS. The reason im working on this is because I really like the Ford Fobs on my other cars. I had an after market kit in my car but it started going haywire and causing the locks to lock...lock...lock...unlock...unlock..unlock...unlock...until the battery went flat. Ill complete a write up if it works.

-dz

Back