oil in intercooler

Gary Bitzer

i had the intercooler off my 94 last weekend and i noticed a good bit of oil in it, i cleaned it all out and flushed it. is this normal or does it mean the engine has excessive blowby? the car never uses oil and doesnt smoke, has good oil pressure etc etc. 174k orig HG and all.

oil in IC tubes

I am not sure if it is normal but every one I have taken appart has had a small amount in the IC and tubes. I have had 30+ of them one only had 68,000 km 45k miles and a more recent one had 99Kms 60k miles/ The lower mileage cars had less oil inside but still a tiny bit was present.
John

Last edited:
You can build one of these from a Air compressor seperator (walmart $10.99) and some 3/8 hose. Helps quite a bit. Funny how steeda sells them for 70 bucks. http://www.steeda.com/products/steeda_oil_separator.php

555-3710-lg.jpg

my LS doesn use PCV valves - simply vents the top of each valve cover into the intake tube. A little oil would be in the intake before the supercharger install, but after it pulled a lot in (not sure if more pressure in the valve covers or more draw through the intake - or both)

I place a seperator inline on both PCV vents, the use baffles to condense the oil. I drain them about every 6 months.

Attachments

• DSCF2229.jpg
    DSCF2229.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 126
I found a bunch in mine and it ended up being rings that fragmented in one cylinder and pushed oil through my entire system.

A little oil in the IC tubes etc and inside the blower is probably a good thing as it would create a smoother track for the air to flow through, and in the rotors themselves would help to seal them a little better against themselves as well as the walls of the case.

Food for thought anyways.

mine gets so bad the oil will drip out of the IC, but it doesnt have a vac leak? i dont get it....i put lucas oil stabilzer in the last change so ill see what that does. i think its just excessive blowby, and if thats the case lucas will help some.

I just noticed mine smoke when she left just now. I know the lower IC tube drips oil on the pavement overnight so I am guessing it does this at least when it first starts. I hope.

Had to bring up an old thread.

I don't know what you mean by a lot, but when I pulled mine off, i could literally pour out the oil. Turns out the middle cylinder on the passenger side blew apart the rings or something similar (didn't pull the heads off), but there was oil all over the inside of the head where the exhaust comes out. I ended up getting a new motor because of it. However, it did go through a quart of oil every 200 or so miles, but that may have been because the valve cover gaskets were torn too. Whoever I bought my car from absolutely wailed on it, because the clutch was new according to who I bought it from and was all scarred, because the smartass was probably redlining then dropping the clutch to do a burnout. Oh well, got the car for only $675, and she runs like a champ now.

I just noticed mine smoke when she left just now. I know the lower IC tube drips oil on the pavement overnight so I am guessing it does this at least when it first starts. I hope.

:rolleyes: if anything drips out you've got a vacuum leak. if it's sealed good and tight nothing should drain out.

try taking out the intercooler, clean it out and re-seal all the connections with some rtv. no more drips....

Make sure you have a PCV valve that is for blown motors.
The Cheapie at autozone won't hold the pressure, and will blow to much oil into the system.

The correct pcv valve and a cheapie separator should do the job on an engine that is in reasonable good health.

Make sure you have a PCV valve that is for blown motors.
The Cheapie at autozone won't hold the pressure, and will blow to much oil into the system.

The correct pcv valve and a cheapie separator should do the job on an engine that is in reasonable good health.

Hmmmm. They didn't have the correct one when I went in and I took what we could find.

Search the forums on PCV valve issues, There is a lot of chatter to be found.

I had the Ford parts guy do a nation parts search for me, and found the right one in some backwash town Ford dealer.

Good Luck

Filter

Will there be any harm to install a crank case filter? Ya know, the small air filter that would mount on top of the valve cover. A lot of the older hot rods use them, although they are not worried about passing emissions. I actually installed one about 1 month ago and have not had any problems. Hope I'm not hurting anything!
jj

Back