pics of my intake and lifters

Kevin Leitem

here is a couple pics of my extrude honed intake which i made just like randy baker's intake. the return plenum is randy's. I am planning on making them from tubular aluminum pipe soon. also included is a pic of the crower solid roller lifters.

the intake opening is 1/2 inch wider and 1/8 inch longer over stock and the plenum is made to match.

Attachments

• 000_0003.jpg
    000_0003.jpg
    386.2 KB · Views: 314
  • 000_0004.jpg
    000_0004.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 306
  • 000_0001.jpg
    000_0001.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 313
Looking strong. What oil are you going to run with those solid roller lifters?
I assume a race oil with plenty of pressure lubricants.

There really isn't anything special you have to do to run a solid lifter. Special oils aren't needed.

The only thing that would need to be changed is the seat pressure of the valve springs. Hydraulic lifters absorb the valves impact on the valve seat whenever it slams shut. Running a higher seat pressure prevent the valve from bouncing on the seat.

Thanks for that. I was assuming you had a raised roof on your intake. Are you going to change that when you go to the centrifugal style SC or leave the lower on there?

Chris

we put stiffer springs in the head. what do you mean by revised oiling?

I've read several articles about converting to solid roller lifters and most mention modifying the oil passages to the lifter bores (adding restrictors)because they don't require the amount of oil the hyd lifters do, but need more for the cam bearings.

David

You are supposed to add restrictors, but I can not remember how. I know for the normal engine, you can even have less pressure/flow to the upper end. In fact, I have a hole drilled in one of my oil galley plugs that oils my gear drive which is in one of the galleys for the lifters.

Chris

You are supposed to add restrictors, but I can not remember how. I know for the normal engine, you can even have less pressure/flow to the upper end. In fact, I have a hole drilled in one of my oil galley plugs that oils my gear drive which is in one of the galleys for the lifters.

Chris

I am getting too much oil to the rockers. I was filling the valve covers with oil pretty good. I just ordered a set of restictor pushrods from smith brothers. hopefully that will restrict enough. they said that you can either put restrictors in the engine or in the pushrods.

Chris

I don't remember how an SC is. The restrictors can be put in the front main gallery that oils the lifter bores and/or you can tap the galleries in the lifter bores then put the restrictors there.

Kevin, Smith Brothers are the company I use for my race motors. $350 is what I pay, which is a lot for pushrods, but they're the best.

Kevin, Smith Brothers are the company I use for my race motors. $350 is what I pay, which is a lot for pushrods, but they're the best.

For the best drag race performance, lifters & pushrods
are made with.

Lifters, Titanium body with steel rollers
Pushrods, carbon fiber with 4130 ballends.

Will give the biggest performance gains.
They can remove well over 4lbs from valvetrain system.
dependant on motor.

Randy

Last edited:
Back