Sealtbelt track prob and more

Young-SC-Owner

Hi guys, my auto seatbelt isnt working on my 89 drivers side it stays in the driving position and my little seatbelt light stays on all the time....? related?
another i keep losing my tach i tryed known good CPS and DIS no difference it works fine sometimes and other times it just goes nuts....also fuel gauge doesnt work it moves on its own until i fill it up then it goes nearly horizontal to the right also the change oil light came in and i cant get it to reset....

any help would be appreciated, oh by the way i just rolled it over to 79,XXX:D

Alright man, your seatbelt probably doesn't work because the sensor in the door. Take a look around the board here and you'll see some good posts about the sensor I'm talking about. The light will stay on as long as one of the shoulder belts is not connected, as far as I know.

Try adjusting the wires around the CPS, I once had a loose wire there that was giving me some tach issues. Other than that I'm not sure. Maybe the DIS still, get some good thermal compound under that sucker.

The fuel sender in the tank is probably shot, might want to take a look.

And for the change oil light all you need to do is turn the key to accessory and push the button on the VMM with a needle or such.

Good luck

On the 89 to change the oil change light you need to turn the key on and push a paper clip into the little hole on the left of the vmm.

Seat belt sensor is in the door just above the latch. Remove it, spray some lubricant on it and smack it on the ground. This should loosed up the pin, and that should take care of the problem with the belt and the light.

PS: The switches in both doors must be free moving for the belts and light to work.

Do you hear the seat belt try to move? If not, either the track is shot, or the gear that engages the track is shot. The gear is in a housing that the motor is attached to. The motor is located behind the passenger seat side panels. There is an access hatch there that you can pop out and turn the knob to try to move the belt if the motor dies.

To get at the motor and gears you have to pull the interior side panel. Then pull the motor out and open the side of the gear box. If the gear is shot, you can replace it with a gear from any 89 through 93 tbird or cougar. The gear from the left or right side are the same so either will work. The motor and gear casing is side specific. The track can also be from either side.

Thanks guys, ill try that after i take a nap this morning i just got off from the fire dept:eek:
Oh by the way the SC looks pretty cool all strobed out now:D

Back