M90 SC on a 2006 V6 f-150

CurtisPaulfrey

I have been looking at the web pages from people that swap the SC items onto a 3.8 mustang.......so what is the difference between at 3.8 and the 4.2 that they put on the new f-150's?

The reason I ask is because I'm going to have some parts left over and I might wwant to make my truck run just a tad bit better, there is a ton of room for the IC and such.......

I'm not to sure about those 4.2's, but unless your going to rebuild the internals of that motor, you probably won't be able to run much more than 5psi safely, so an IC is a mute point anyway.

And you would most defintely get a tune to handle it as well. In other words, me don't think its just a drop in and run type deal , not if you want to keep that motor together anyways.

You could always swap in a full SC motor and then you can have some fun ;)

Actually, there are quite a few differences. Mainly the heads as far as the looks go. You have a split port head and intake that does not allow the direct bolt on of the SC lower and charger. If you are going to do the swap, you need to start with a set of heads and go from there.

Chris

I was just thinking about it last night before I went to bed, so The 3.8 heads would bolt onto the 4.2 bottem end, after that I could put the IM and SC/IC on, then it would all be about a big pulley from low boost and a tune. I'll keep searching

There is a lot more than that. You need the front cover accessories unless you have some sort of way to trick out a new belt system. You see...the SC uses three belts to run its accessories and the SC. One runs from the crank to a jackshaft. There is a belt from the jackshaft to the SC. And of course the A/C, P/S, ALT, and W/P are all run off of a long belt. It would not be hard to do, but I think if you were looking at a "Cheep" SC setup, you could stick a centrifugal on there for a mustang and be better off. Its hard to explain this, but it is more time consuming than it is difficult to do the swap. If you dont have all of the parts you need, you will not run your pickemup for a long time and waste a TON of time trying to track stuff down.

Chris

Back