Converting The Brake System on a 90 SC

NY90RedSC

I know people have converted brakes from the Mark II system on their SC's to other setups and was wondering what the most popular carossover system is that is a direct bolt-in replacement. The 90 SC I used to own had this conversion done, but I don't know what car it came from. I'm wondering if a Crown Vic or other Ford vehicle has a system that is a direct swap. Also, what all would I need for the conversion?

We used the master cylinder from a 93 Crown Vicky and a brake booster from a 93 SC both purchased from our local auto parts store and with some extra lines also installed the line lock at the same time----been a year and a half so far and other than a small leak at the line lock on initial test we have had no problems with the system---of course we lost the anti-locks...............Dan

That's the same setup I used to convert my 91.Just remeber you'll have to change the pushrod coming out of the booster to a longer bolt to get proper pedal.

Jay

What size bolt did you convert it to? Will I have to fabricate brake lines for the conversion or will the factory lines bolt up? I realize I will most likely lose the ABS, but that seems to be a fair trade-off considering the cost of the master cylinder and other brake parts for the Mark system.

Hey Hey!!!!! That's the link I was looking for Kev! Thanks a million! I know what I'll be doing soon enough.

np!, I did the swap using the info there and everything worked out great. I would suggest that you go to a Hydraulic shop to get a small junction block to connect the front brakes together. It looks better then the one you'll get from the Crown Vic and its only a few bucks.

Good Luck,

Kevin

What size bolt did you convert it to? Will I have to fabricate brake lines for the conversion or will the factory lines bolt up? I realize I will most likely lose the ABS, but that seems to be a fair trade-off considering the cost of the master cylinder and other brake parts for the Mark system.

you need a 1/4" x 2"x 28 thread hex head bolt and then grind off the hex head to match the stock bolt, you need to get the junction block off of a crown vic that splits the crown vic front m/c brake line port into 2 to run to your front calipers.

I rebent the factory lines on my 91 and they screwed right into the c/v m/c.Hardest part of the swap was getting the booster bolted up.It's a tight fit to get it in.

Jay

Back