Idle proble and burnt wire questions

kwikcoupe

Ok so Ive searched the forums and found a ton of probables. In searching for the cause of my idle issues i found a single wire on the top of the engine, just to the right of the oil fill and to the left of the SC intake top, Its next to a plug with 10+ wires but the single wire has a plug also. Can anyone help me identify this wire. The plug appears mildly burnt and the insulation is cooked off the wire as far back as i can pull the loom.

For the idle issues, I pull 20 in-hg at 900 rpm and it stays there for a few minutes and revs to 1200 rpm and 22 in-hg. After 3-4 surges itll start dropping out idle (about 4-500 rpm and 12-15 in-hg). Im still reading about how to check the eec codes without a scanner, it will sometimes through a CEL at idle asfter a long trip. If you rev it up or blip the throttle, it goes away. I dont want to reset the computer till I get the code out.

I was thinking of cleaning the maf but wasnt sure what to use? Which other methods would be good for setting this down.

As the car runs, its just fine but when you put it under heavy load uphill it just wont increase speed. On flat ground under heavy load about 4k rpm it just falls flat on its face.

The car has 110k on the clock, pampered her whole life. Just gave it a 60k tuneup with plugs, filters, recharged the K&N filter. If someone can point me in the proper direction that wopuld be great. Mike

ok, quick update, after some more searching i found a thread stated by the ghost. In this thread he stated he had similar symptoms, he fixed them by tightening his SC collar. I went out and checked mine, I found everyhing was in good order except the lower intercooler to charge pipe bolts. Onw was missing, the other lose till the point of falling off by just a few threads. I need to find another nut and if so ill let you know what becomes of the situation. I still need to know about the burnt up wire. thanks Mike

idle problem solved. I found another nut and retightened them down. The car pulls 22-23 in-hg at 900 rpm and no more idle issues. Theres a small miss and it doesnt account for much. i think I need to reset the computer and itll go away. If anyone can help me with the burnt wire that would be great. My chiltons manual is on the other side of the mountains and i think a factory manual would be much better. Does anyone know an online site? Mike

The wire with the insulation "cooked off" is supposed to be bare on one side of the plug. It shields the DIS and cam and crank sensor wires. The other end of the bare wire is grounded.

you need to post a picture of the wire you're talkin about. i think you're talking about the coolant sensor but can't be 100% sure.

Back