Looking into a thunderbird sc..what are common problems on a 91 thunderbird SC?

gnx547

I found a 91 sc with the 5 speed with 25,000 orginal miles for $5,999. Good price for this car?

What are some common problems on a 91 thunderbird sc? Are they good daily drivers? Are they reliable? What are some known problems with these cars? Whats the typical gas mileage on them How big is the fuel tank? How much boost does it make stock? What do they run in the 1/4 mile? Are these cars pretty easy to work on?

Last edited:
I found a 91 sc with the 5 speed with 25,000 orginal miles for $5,999. Good price for this car?

What are some common problems on a 91 thunderbird sc? Are they good daily drivers? Are they reliable? What are some known problems with these cars? Whats the typical gas mileage on them How big is the fuel tank? How much boost does it make stock? What do they run in the 1/4 mile? Are these cars pretty easy to work on?

1. Head gaskets/Motor mounts
2. It is sorta kinda a good daily driver
3. Average gas mileage
4. ? Gas tank
5. 10 Pounds
6. Slow stock 1/4 mile times
7. No. Not easy to work on.

I got a 91 it got around 20 mpg stock.It's an auto and ran 15.1@90 bone stock.Only problem that I have had with it so far was head gaskets,motor mounts,and the abs system.Mine's got 85k on it.Any other issue I've had with the car are self induced LOL.

Jay

A car with only 25k miles isn't likely to suffer from any of the above.

GNX,

The head gasket issue has to due with the inadequate exhaust Ford put on the cars. Too small for the N/A 3.8 cars much less for the SC. Free up some exhaust flow and you should have no issues.

The driver's side motor mounts tend to break. Also an inadequate design but again, probably not for a low mileage car like that. Most times when it goes, the engine rocks up and breaks the power steering pressure hose.

Brakes also pose some issues. The accumulator, relays, pressure switch have been known to fail. Replacement is simple though.

Fuel tank is about 60 litres and 20's sounds right. My 91 boosts at 12 pounds.

Ease of work depends on how you look at it. The access to the motor is restricted by the IC tubes on the drivers side and the air inlet on the passenger. I dismantled all accessories and brackets from the front, the IC tubes and intercooler to get at my broken drivers mount. and power steering line in a single afternoon. Possible to do in one day of work.

When these cars sit for long periods of time, the seal between the ABS pump and motor could start leaking brake fluid.....

Just something to look out for.....

head gaskets are easy fix free exh up and port stock exh manifolds,

motormounts easy fix remove the top bracket weld in the top of opening that lower tang runs in fill it in 1/4 inch down from top it will limit the travel and mounts cant over extend so they never break mine ar two yrs old cheap replacements with this mod and they survive 4-6 daily abusive 4000rpm dumps.

milage I get 28 mph

gas tank is not a real problem if you do a good exh system some 91s have the free flowing exh ala tank and 92's up have this tank . i have a friend with a 90 lx with a 429 in it he has the stock so called bad tank and he still gets it down the track in 10 seconds.

1/4 mile times are ok for a car of its time
low 15s is norm for a 5 spd in stock condition

working on them easy for me i know the tricks at first glance wow how am I going to do this then after awhile its second nature.

I can strip a sc down to its bare block in 2 hrs.

remove engine in 3 hrs this without stressing myself.

spark plugs are the only real hassle but a good swivel "cable drive extention "

is a big help .

and best thing is if you just ask any of us here we will give you helpfull tips on what you want to do or need to do to fix any and all problems .

some give you free parts some sell you parts cheap some will drive to your house to help you out thats why the sc is not a bad car its owners are the greatest bunch of guys and gals ive ever known.

Last edited:

As far as price goes, that's decent if the car is all original and in pristine condition. However, if you modify or put a lot of miles on the car, the value will plummet. Probably not a good value for you unless you plan on keeping the car original and not drive it much. You can buy much cheaper SC's to modify, and many already have some of the modifications performed by previous owners.

Others have already answered the questions regarding common problems. Of course, if you keep it original and don't drive it much, they're not going to be a concern on a 25K mile car.

JD

Back